*** Is there a way to know if I'm buying iPhone 1.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bruce Patterson, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Bruce Patterson macrumors member

I'm in Canada and wanting to head down to the US to get an iPhone to unlock but from what I understand, need a handset that isn't pre-loaded with the new Apple 1.1.1 software update.

I just called the AT&T store across the line and they said that they all the phones they have in stock are brand new and they've had them in for a week. So, I'm obviously worried about buying a 1.1.1 phone and having trboule.

My questions are:

1. Is buying a 1.1.1 iphone and unlocking it a problem, or does the problem originate with iPhones that are unlocked and THEN updated to 1.1.1?

2. Is there anyway to tell at all without opening the package what version of firmware the iPhone has? Sadly, I'm assuming there isn't.

3. Is there a date after which I should be worried I'm buying a 1.1.1 iPhone? I'm assuming since the update came out on Thursday that they would likely not have been able to stock phones since Thursday with 1.1.1 phones. Does this sound reasonable?

Bottom line, am I screwed if I buy an iPhone with 1.1.1 firmware?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. no way to unlock a 1.1.1 iphone right now.

2. not that I know of

3. any iphone you buy now has a good chance of having 1.1.1 unless you can confirm it has been sitting on the self for awhile.

3. qzak macrumors 6502

4. stop naming your posts beginning with "***". your posts are no more important than anyone elses.

4. Bruce Patterson thread starter macrumors member

Even if the update only came out on Thursday??? If the rep @ AT&T said it had been on the shelf for a week, odds are good it's not 1.1.1, right?

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you can confirm it was been on the shelf it should be ok, but there is no way to know until you open it.

6. PatMack macrumors member

I can almost guarantee to you that an iPhone you buy now will not have 1.1.1. In fact, it may have 1.0.1. I bought 6 iPhones about 2 weeks ago. They all had the oldest version. They hadnt even been updated to reflect the update from a few months ago.

Now, my town sells quite a few iPhones, so im sure they have not been on the shelf long. Just keep in mind that Apple wont provide their "iPhone factory" with the latest software until after the public has seen it. They dont want leaks. Then after that, they still have to get the "updated" latest build iPhones from the factory to the US warehouses, and then too your store.

Patrick

7. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i would agree and say that most likely it will still be below 1.1.1