Is there a way to launch Text Edit via keyboard shortcut?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Aug 26, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    Hi guys,

I was trying to figure out a way to launch Text Edit via a keyboard shortcut but it doesn't seem to want to work when I assign it a keyboard shortcut and I can't find a tutorial online to address this.

Is it possible? I'm basically wanting to hit Command + T and have it open Text Edit with a new document.
  2. thasan macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007
    if ur keyboard shortcut doesnt work for some reason, cant u use better touch tool?
    command+T might not work if its alerady assigned. maybe cmd+shift+T? i actually have it set up for my text editor texmaker
  3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

Dec 5, 2009
    I guess you could work it out.
    CMD+t and also CMD+Shift+T is already used a lot in all apps with tabbed browsing. You'd need a different key.

I would recommend another approach.
    Use Alfred
    you hit CMD+Space -> t -> enter
    After a bit of training that launches Textedit.
    First you need a few more keys like tex. But once it knows you often start textedit the single t will do.

That is really fast. I don't use Textedit anymore because since ML it always starts with a save dialog but I don't want to bother with saving when I only want to quickly scribble down stuff.
  4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    That works with Spotlight as well, although you may have to go as far as typing tex depending on how many Apps you have starting with t. I use that method to launch all my Apps that aren't in the Dock.