Is there a way to link to sections within a post (anchored text)?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ActionableMango, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I am trying to write instructions in the Mac Pro forum. The instructions are lengthy and some sections may not be relevant to everyone, so I feel my post would benefit from a "table of contents". I've looked up the BBCODE for this, which seems to be:

The invisible anchor that is jumped to:
    Code:
    [anchor]Section4[/anchor]
    The linked text that jumps to the anchor when clicked:
    Code:
    [goto=Section4]Click here to see Section 4.[/goto]
    But using this BBcode doesn't seem to work in MacRumors posts. It just shows the code as plain text. Example:

[anchor]Section4[/anchor]
    [goto=Section4]Click here to see Section 4.[/goto]​

Maybe there is some other way to do this. For example there is a link tool for posts, but that tool has a generic URL box. Is there a way to make a URL anchor within a post so I can link to it with the link tool?

Anyone know how to do this in MacRumors posts?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Anchor support is not included in base XenForo, so it would require an add-on to do it. That decision is up to @arn, and requires balancing usefulness of the feature against the potential for things breaking in the future if they become outdated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As someone is dealing with an upgrade to an enterprise application, may I also add, the more customizations you make, the harder it is to upgrade.

4. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It doesn't seem worth it to me either.