Is There a way to lock your desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by german41274, Dec 15, 2008.

1. german41274 macrumors newbie

Is There a way to lock your desktop? Something easy done off the keyboard maybe.

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Set Expose to start your screen saver by swiping to one corner. Then require your password to wake from your screen saver.

3. german41274 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I said it wrong. Everything on my computer works fine but I can;t move things around on my desktop( dragging files or pics to trash or to iphoto etc...)

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Maybe someone played a prank on you and took a picture of your previous desktop and then set that picture as the background image while turning off viewing of hard drives in the Finder's preferences, and also auto hiding the dock?

It's a stretch, but we might as well establish that first.

Does this problem happen in a normal Finder window, or just on the desktop? Or is the dock at bottom of the screen locked?

5. german41274 thread starter macrumors newbie

dock works fine,when trying to move or delete anything on my desktop the computer tells me to enter my password and then says" operation could not be completed because you don't have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I can delete or move files from anywhere else, just not my desktop.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Ummm, first head into the Utilities folder and open up Disk Utility. Select the Mac HD on the left side and then click Repair Permissions. If lot's of stuff pops up then go ahead and restart your computer when it's done.

If when it asks you for your password and the name field is blank, go into the system preferences and head to accounts. Check what accounts are listed and whether they say "Administrator" or "Standard" beneath them. If for some reason your on a Standard account then that may be why (someone switched the account and didn't log out). If the only account is there is standard then you may have just upgraded to Leopard...

7. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

"sizzling keys" pref pane has options where u can assign computer lock, screensaver and sleep to keyboard shortcuts. Thats how i lock my computer

edit: oh ignore that, mhm maybe u have accidentally changed permissions for the desktop folder? Try repairing permissions

8. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

assuming you haven't logged out and then back in again, simply restart the Finder under Force Quit.

edit that: didn't see your permissions probs

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like permissions problems. You can check this in the Finder's Get Info window for the folder(s) in question, or in the Terminal if you feel more comfortable there.

It's really easy - select the folder to check, then go to File -> Get Info. Open up the disclosure triangle for Ownership and Permissions. For something in your user folder, you should see "You can read and write". If it does NOT say this, open the next disclosure triangle to see the full permissions. Here, you can change them (you'll need to click the lock and type your password first).