Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I know that if they keep it up to date that is some bit of a way since the JBs take a little bit to come out but is there a way to make it not be able at all?

The reason I want to do this is I am giving my sister an iPad and her husband is mildly computer literate and likes to screw things up. Happened with her nook tablet, he rooted it and bricked it. Bricked 2 of her phones, etc, etc. Anyways, I want to make it so he cant jailbreak it and screw it up. She wouldnt even know how to take advantage of any of the jailbreak stuff anyways so it wont help her.

Is there a way to make this happen?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Dont worry about it, if the ipad for some reasons gets "bricked" just plug in the pc/mac and restore with itunes.

Comment

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Dont worry about it, if the ipad for some reasons gets "bricked" just plug in the pc/mac and restore with itunes.

the issue with that is my sister is not the most computer literate, so she wouldnt be able to do that.

----------

I also think the same but lol what gives ?

you can think whatever you want, but when the device will not operate and will not restore, that is fair enough to call it a brick.

----------

Exactly.
No matter how bad he screws it up he can always plug it to iTunes and restore it.

That is the issue, he wont do that. He will just keep trying tweaks and things to fix whatever he goofed up. he is generally an idiot that thinks he knows how to work with electronics.

Comment

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
How about you jailbreak it yourself and use something like SBSettings to hide Cydia?

He won't be able to jailbreak it again and he (possibly) won't be able to figure out where Cydia went.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
[/COLOR]

That is the issue, he wont do that. He will just keep trying tweaks and things to fix whatever he goofed up. he is generally an idiot that thinks he knows how to work with electronics.

Sounds like you love your brother in law:D
Best bet would be to either not give it to her at all or just let it go and don't worry about it. If he screws it up its up to her, she married him and has to deal with him. I'd avoid him if you don't want to deal with his bs.

Comment

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south

harsh words for someone asking such a silly question in MR... just saying

Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You should consider telling your sister that she needs to have a talk with her husband. Because the only thing he is doing is not only causing frustration by messing with her devices, but he is also doing financial damage. These are $200-500 devices that cannot be replaced every few months.

What happens the day he messes up the next phone and then she can't afford to buy another one or pay a termination fee to move to pre-paid/etc? That's a lot of money to be blowing down the drain just because he's bored.

Don't give her the iPad. It'a like giving a toy to a kid who lets the dog run off with it to the backyard. You're wasting your money on someone who's not going to even bother to take care of their belongings. If she was really that concerned, she could just hide her stuff away out of his reach.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.