Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I think that Apple Music weakest point is its suggestion algorithm or whatever is in charge of it.
I had Spotify for 1 month few years ago and it had better suggestions for my taste than Apple Music for over 5 years of usage.
So maybe there is something I’m missing with Apple Music?

Reactions: compwiz1202

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Many have posted the same experience.

I've found that favoriting artists makes a noticeable difference; liking individual songs, less so.

Still, Apple's recommendation algorithm seems to be:

1. OK, we know that every week for the last seven years you've refused to add any songs from this same handful of albums, but maybe this week?
2. We see you added one song from this album three months ago. Maybe you want this other track? No? This track? No? How about this one? This one?
3. We've incorrectly determined that you're in your 40's, so surely you want us to keep showing you this list of random albums from the 1990's.
4. You accidentally clicked on the wrong song, so we've changed your entire feed for the day to only include Zimbabwean Dub Classics.
5. People with your initials also like...

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020

I've found that favoriting artists makes a noticeable difference; liking individual songs, less so.

1. OK, we know that every week for the last seven years you've refused to add any songs from this same handful of albums, but maybe this week?
2. We see you added one song from this album three months ago. Maybe you want this other track? No? This track? No? How about this one? This one?
3. We've incorrectly determined that you're in your 40's, so surely you want us to keep showing you this list of random albums from the 1990's.
4. You accidentally clicked on the wrong song, so we've changed your entire feed for the day to only include Zimbabwean Dub Classics.
Haha yeah exactly

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020

Hilarious! While Apple Music is a truly appalling service, your post at least made it funny!

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
My music interests are diverse, so I don't expect recommendations to track them very well. I just find playlists and albums I like and add and listen to these. For whatever reason, I rarely add individual songs. Favoriting artists only became possible again a few months ago and it's going to take me awhile to add the many dozens if not hundreds of my favorite artists, and not sure what effect that will have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.