Is there a way to make links clickable in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Braby, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Braby macrumors member

It's really the only thing that I like about Firefox, and I was hoping somehow it could be inserted into Safari.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

can you explain what you mean by "clickable"? are you having problems clicking links on websites or adding your own link to a site?

3. nomadpass macrumors member

you mean if it says a date you would be able to click that automatically into calendar?

4. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

last night, reading email in Mail, clicked on a link and Fusion/Xp/IE came up to open the link. Did it over and over.

5. Braby thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the confusion, I mean like a link on a website like GameFAQs or something, is there a way to make the link clickable so I don't have to highlight it and right click to open in a new tab.

It's like the Linkification extension on Firefox

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

In your Safari preferences, under General, is anything checked on the bottom?

7. Braby thread starter macrumors member

Open a new tab in the current window is selected

8. ihabime macrumors 6502

I think I understand what you're asking, but you're using the wrong term. A link is a URL that's linked to some highlighted text and is already clickable.

I gather what you're asking about is an unlinked plaintext URL on a webpage IE:

Code:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573974
    The only utility that I know of that does what you want is ICeCoffEE, it allows command clicking on URLs plus a few other things. It's an APE though, so consider yourself warned.

9. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Ferget yer Safari...

I too held onto my Safari allegiance for a long time, but now that FF 3 is stable, there's zero reason not to use it. You can configure it to work like Safari, plus a whole lot more.

Regarding your specific need, I would recommend FF + the Easy DragToGo plugin. Highlight text and give it a flick (mouse gestures) and a new tab will open with a Google search of that text (or whatever your current search engine is). Do the same to an unlinked URL (like what you were asking, it'll open that. Or a regular link, for that matter. You can custom-configure the behavior every which way -- each direction of drag-n-drop "flick" can have a different action (open in new tab, open in background tab, new window, etc etc etc). Can't live without it. (And no, I'm not the author... just a rabid fan :)