Is there a way to make the home indicator disappear?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

i am not a fan of the home indicator. Once you’ve used an iPhone X or new iPad Pro long enough you get the hang of the gestures and they become second nature rendering the home indicator bar unnecessary. Is there any way to turn it off?

2. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Grr...:mad:

4. lotus ipad macrumors newbie

lotus ipad

Presently there is no way to make the indicator disappear. I really wish that it could be a toggle in the settings to allow the user to choose if they want to have the icon appear. This indicator is way too large and its pretty distracting.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

On iOS 11 if you jailbroke you could but as of current there is none for iOS 12.

6. jmiddel macrumors regular

Now that my attention has been brought to it, darn it’s annoying! Yes Apple give us a choice, no big deal to implement.

7. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

8. Never mind macrumors member

Never mind

9. bandrews macrumors 6502a

The annoying thing is that the swipe up gesture is the same on my iPad mini 4 but they don’t feel the need to put the bar on the screen to prompt.

10. tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

I guess the reasoning is you still have a home button.

11. Kate. macrumors regular

It's particularly grating in an app like Procreate. A couple times I've found myself frowning at my canvas trying to figure out why there's a a discolored smear across my work and then realizing it's the bar.

Feedback submitted.

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

It really sucks when you’re using split view and one of the apps hasn’t been updated for iPad yet. You get the black bar on the top and bottom and then this big long white home indicator bar at the bottom. Yuck.

13. Marzel macrumors regular

I understand having it on by default so that it doesn’t confuse new customers but there is no reason for not having an option to turn it off. What’s worse is that apps that don’t support the new ratios at all, are actually shrunken even further leading to what I think is a non native resolution and look fuzzy (I’m not sure about that but that’s my feeling).

14. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

And THAT is the best case scenario for apps that haven't been updated. There are still quite a few apps that I use that haven't been updated to support split-view. The apps have been updated to add features and fix bugs, but split-view support remains a missing feature on them. :(

15. profets macrumors 601

Even worse are apps that don't support landscape. There's one I use frequently and it would be extremely helpful not just to have it in landscape but split screen as well, as I usually read through info from it while discussing contents with a group conversation in messages.

16. flur macrumors 68000

flur

Feedback submitted. I just asked for the option to turn it off.

17. The Chosen One macrumors member