is there a way to make this work? ATV

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RolledUp20s, Jul 31, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

so, i have a macbook air running mountain lion, an apple tv & the iPhone 4s.
    what i'd like is way to wake my macbook when it's closed so that the ATV can access the home sharing itunes library for music. i have the app 'touchpad' on my iphone which will let me control the macbook. when i had a mac mini i could wake that with touchpad..

are the MacBooks just 'heavy sleepers' and it takes more than a nudge to wake them up? ..do i need a cup of cold water to wake it from it's sleep? :)

any suggestions?

2. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

OR...to save killing my mac air..

is there a way for the ATV to access my music from an External HDD which is plugged into my wifi router? i use filebrowser on my iphone to play music around the house..

Hmm, just thought...can i use my iphone to send the audio from filebrowser to my ATv in airplay mode? ...i shall try this now

yes...to answer my own question lol. that works. ok...i will learn to try before i ask in future :)

3. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

So...what exactly has mountain lion added for the ATV & Airplay?
    using file browser i'm able to play movies & music through the iPhone to the ATV. its basically just to view the mac screen on the TV..which isn't comfortable to view like that anyway..i guess it's handy for MKVs.. :rolleyes:

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

To answer your question, nothing else other than what you already described. If you have ML and ATV, it just adds the mirroring feature that iPads and iPhones have already had. This is assuming your Mac is 2011 or newer (Sandy Bridge) to support AirPlay mirroring.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The other thing you can do is get iTunes match. That will make your entire iTunes library stream able on your apple tv with out having to wake your Mac.

6. asting macrumors 6502

It's nice if your apple tv cannot play or view what you would like. I imagine it would work for netflix, youtube, hulu, etc.

7. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

lol, i'm not sure whether your being sarcastic here?

----------

i thought about itunes match but i don't actually need it now. my iphone has 'filbrowser' - i also have all my music on a local wifi in my house, i can play the music through my iphone to the ATV. so i dont need the mac to be 'open' to use the home share for music..although, i do if i'm on my mac ;)

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i think the app insomniac does what you are looking for

9. yinz macrumors 6502a

Why not just get AirPlay speakers and play from your phone?

10. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

coz my tv surround sound is better. ...i am using my phone to airplay the music through the ATV.

..because ive just got mountain lion i was trying to take advantage of the screen share though for movies. however, ive found my iPhone does a better job for this...apart from MKVs that is

----------

for the mac? ...ye ive decided against cooking my mac now :)

now looking for mkv players for iphone with airplay.. not sure whether the vlc iphone app does this. going to look around