Is there a way to manually refresh all smart playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaGrandMastah, May 7, 2012.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I have a ton of smart playlists in itunes. Basically every artists I have has their own designated smart playlist with criteria to update automatically if any track is added that they are "guesting" on (lots of hip-hop music).

All these smart playlists are also set to live update which is subsequently slowing my system down as I tag new files.

Is there a way to update all smart playlists manually? I was looking on doug's applescripts page and coudln't find anything.

Anyone have a similar issue as mine? If so, how'd you get around it? I was thinking I could turn off live updating on all non-rap smart playlists since that seems tob e the most "guest" heavy of my music but I'm still exploring my options.

2. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I've not run into this problem, but if you turn live updating off, they should refresh everytime you completely exit iTunes and then reopen it. Try turning live updating off, and then restarting iTunes.

3. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow. I didn't know you can just shut down itunes and restart and it woudl update all the smart playlists. Well, if that's the case I'm just going to turn it off for all of them.

4. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I might be wrong, it's just my guess. Did it work?

5. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually never got around to checking. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I hope so.

6. dknightd macrumors 6502

It used to work this way, but, I don't think it does any more.
    I have to select each one manually - command-i - return.
    It would be nice to be able to automate this, so I'll be following this thread.

7. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, I can confirm that restarting itunes has no effect on the playlist. I tested it out yesterday and it didn't work. The only way to refresh it is to go into it and checked/uncheck the live update.

I really hope they fix this in a future release. I know Smart Playlists have come a long way since they were introduced but hopefully they do add a refresh all button.

Does anyone knwo how to send suggestions to apple?

8. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

9. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it stinks but I'm sure they'll add it at some point. Smart Playlists have already come a long way. I sent the suggestion to the in the meantime. If anyone hsa any other ideas please post. Otherwise I'll keep you all updated.

10. Tantor12 macrumors newbie

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I'm in the same boat, hoping to use a large number of smart playlists to cluster tracks in various combinations by facetting on date range, BPM range, and geography (I've inserted country codes in the note field). I have a lot of house and techno, so smart playlists are also a good way to group artists working under multiple project names. And now I've discovered the CPU drain issue. Cheers.

11. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I had a similar thing happen where I made of number of smart playlists set by genre and noticed a few songs from an artist were not being populated in the correct list.

I deleted the list and made a new smart playlist with the same parameters and magically those songs were in the new list.

Is there any better way of doing this?

ps: dude, you totally necro'd this thread!

12. Tantor12 macrumors newbie

Is that considered bumping here? Sorry, I don't post to many forums, so I am usually bumbling around. Anyway, mea culpa if it is.