Is there a way to manually set my location?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spaceywilly, Jun 23, 2009.

1. spaceywilly macrumors newbie

I updated my phone to 3.0 specifically to check out the live streaming games in the MLB At Bat app. After upgrading, I waited patiently for the Sox game to start... only to find out that it was blacked out because I was in a local market:confused::mad:

That's just dumb really, the Red Sox have sold out 500 games in a row so I don't think letting people watch games on a freakin 3" screen is going to hurt them one bit. Well besides writing a nasty email to the MLB, I figure my only option is setting the location manually to some other place so that the app will think I'm out of market. So is there a way to do this? I wouldn't mind writing a simple app to do it if it's necessary, I just don't know where to start. Ideally it would just set it for a few seconds so as not to interfere with e911 data in case of an emergency.

I'd appreciate any help I could get on this, in the meantime I'm going to start diving into the sdk... woo. If there's another place I should be posting this that would be good to know, too.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Will the app run if you don't allow it to use your location?

3. spaceywilly thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried turning off location services using sbsettings and when I try to watch live games now it just says "location error" then spits you out to the blackout legalese

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hmm, probably a fellow Yankees fan making you miserable. :)

Anyway, there's no way to do this currently. But I could think of 2 ways that might be possible for someone to do this:

1. Find if location is stored in a temp location and overwrite it so apps think you are somewhere else.
    2. An app that hooks in when location services are called and returns an arbitrary value.

5. spaceywilly thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read about the Core Location service, it doesn't seem like there would be an easy way to change the numer in memory. Number 2 seems like it might be possible, but it can't just be an arbitrary value, it has to be something in the US or Canada, and outside of the Boston/New England market. I have no idea how to do that though...