Is there a way to only allow an app to use wifi data and not cellular data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VapoChimmy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. VapoChimmy macrumors newbie

Hello MR members,

Does anyone know if there is a way you can manage apps individually to allow some to use only wifi data, while you let others use cell data?

For example, I would like my NetFlix app to never ever have access to my cellular data.

But, I would like Google Maps to have access to cellular data.

Basically I would like to be able to use my iPhone at home when I am using heavy data usage like streaming video. But only to allow cellular data on important apps I need while traveling.

I have a rather small data plan, and overage costs are high. So if my phone accidentally used cell data when I streamed a movie I would end up w/ an astronomically high bill.

TY

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

In settings, under Cellular, turn off cellular for Netflix.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Settings > Cellular(in the US, I think this is "Mobile" elsewhere in the world)

Scroll down and you'll see a list of all the apps you have installed. Toggle the switch off for the ones you only want to use on Wifi. I believe this feature is in iOS 7 and 8.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This.

5. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Good call! How easy it is to forget the rest of the world doesn't always think like us 'Murkins!:cool:

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol I actually got into a debate about which is more correct with someone once....I think both terms are appropriate....I have no problem with people saying "Let me grab my mobile" instead of "Let me grab my cell" but I think "Cell" or "Cellular" is a bit more specific :p

7. cynics macrumors G4

You are correct but only cause the definition of cellular was amended for mobile telephones. So it's more specific.

Mobile would be more accurate if we didn't change the definitions of words to suit our needs.

8. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Cellphone, cell tower, etc. Do you say mobile tower?

11. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

I do on the odd occasion i'm talking about them.

I just presumed the whole world said mobile phone. On youtube I hear plenty of Americans referring to phones as 'mobile devices'.

I can't imagine anyone saying cell phone!

"oi jack, you left your cell on the table"
    "What the f* are you talking about"
    "your mobile, it's there, you've left it"
    "oh, why didn't you just say that"

:p

12. BaggieBoy, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Strangely I have a 6 plus bought in the UK and running on Vodafone UK but in settings it say "Cellular".

Edit: I then realised my "iPhone Language" was set to English, setting it to English (UK) changed it to "Mobile".

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Citation needed.

14. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

We say mobile devices as well, but if we're talking about a phone we say cell phone or just phone. Cell meaning cellular, mobile is a broad term and doesn't differentiate between mobile meaning a WiFi device like a tablet, or a cellular device like a phone.

We rarely say "cell", so your example of us saying you left your cell on the table doesn't come up much in conversation. We would say "Hey Jack, you left your phone on the table", you'd never hear us say mobile as it doesn't relate to any specific device to us, it's just a generic term for a portable device.