Is there a way to prevent accidental delete?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yalag, Sep 29, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Is there a way to prevent accidental delete in OSX? I asked this because I have a 5TB drive of stored media files. I have to constantly manipulate files in the drive (copy, paste, delete, move files around etc). And I fear that one of these days I'm going to accidentally delete the root folder of 5TB of data.

I can't use time machine or backup solutions, because it's already on a raid drive so I had to purchase 10TB worth of drives. I can't afford to buy another 5TB of drives just for backup.

I must also add that I access the drive over the network (NAS) so even though it's done through finder, it's not the local file system which doesn't allow for undo.

Any ideas? Thank you.

2. Sc00tr macrumors regular

you could always change permission to read only.

3. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

You would have to change the containing folder to ready only... Changing the file itself won't prevent you from deleting it. Mac os x has a lock file feature which uses some filesystem flags or acl the would probably prevent you from accidentally deleting them. If you have time machine backups or if it goes to the trash you can always just restore.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a combination of permissions that won't allow me to delete the folder but allows me to write files into it?

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Maybe make the parent folder of that folder read only? =)