Is there a way to prevent large downloads from iCloud when tethered on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by zorinlynx, Sep 8, 2014.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The basic gist of it is...

Often when I tether my Macbook while traveling it'll start download large amounts of data from iCloud. Photostream is a big culprit, to the point that I just turn it off. iMessage too, as it syncs conversations that are often full of images.

Is there a hidden switch somewhere to NOT download bulk data when tethered? The machine KNOWS it's tethered; it uses a different WiFi icon (the chain links) when tethered. So this would be trivial to implement.

The worst case was a few months ago, when it blew through nearly a gig of my data plan before I realized it was downloading hundreds of photos I had taken on my phone on my trip. Ugh.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I to think storing photos in iCloud is a bad idea. The data plans can get expensive over time and just think about getting a Synology NAS and use it to store pictures and setup a VPN server in it and use a VPN connections from your smart phone to it when about.