Is there a way to record my the actions on a tv or laptop screen?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macaddict23, Mar 3, 2011.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I'll be doing a ton of presentations where my laptop will be connected to a high-definition TV (video mirroring). Sticking a video camera in front of the TV to record what's being outputted will not provide the best quality. Lighting issues, reflections, people getting in-and-out of their seats, etc. Is there a Mac Software that can do this?

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

If you have quicktime x (comes with snow leopard) you have built in screen recording functionality. Just click file>new screen recording. Also there is a program called screenflow.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I've used a program called "iShowU" which has been pretty good.

4. gameface macrumors 6502

Even though Quicktime X does it I use Snapz Pro.

5. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Often times even using quicktime x I end up having to take it into mpeg streamclip to convert it to Apple Pro Res 422 so I'm sure there are much better ways of doing it but with a 2560x1600 screen it's coming in bigger than 1080p anyways which allows for some nice scaling and basic motion control.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

See my original posting. Already mentioned that :D

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

There's also Camtasia which I just bought for work for making nifty presentations.

Alternatively, you could use a scan converter with VGA loop/composite out (randomly chosen example) and a DVD recorder (as long as your display has VGA in and you have a Mac -> VGA cable) if your ultimate output is DVD.

But I bet you haven't considered audio yet. THAT is the bit that trips everyone up.

In order to get half decent audio, you'll need a mic. The built-in mics on laptops are "adequate" to be kind.

I've just ordered a Rode Podcaster for my setup, but you have to know how to use this stuff to get the best out of it.

Any reason why you're recording the presentations?