Is there a way to record with infinity focus on iPhone 7 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

like I want to take videos that can focus on everything at the same time without losing background detail. Like if I was focusing on a person I don't want the background to lose quality.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Best you can do is take the image in very good lighting so the lens stops down to increase depth of field.

Many prefer the background out of focus to put all the emphasis on the person in the image. This is why Apple brought us the portrait mode.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Difficult to do. The iPhone doesn't have a mechanical aperture. So stopping it down does not change Depth of Field. The wider aperture lets more light in, decreases the Depth of Field and gives the out of focus background. DOF is related to distance to subject so stepping back from your subject may help in your case.

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

That will be very distracting... anyways, the aperture is fixed so you'll have to move your subject further away to increase your depth of field.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Moving you subject farther away will not increase depth of field. If the aperture is fixed so is the DOF. I do agree that if the subject is closer to the background, both will be in apparent focus.

I learn every day.

6. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

That is incorrect actually. Your focus distance is directly correlated to the depth of field. Aperture has nothing to do with since it is a constant.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Play around with this^ only change the subject distance (focal distance) and watch your DOF change. (Camera (sensor size) doesn't matter as long as it's constant)

7. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

there 3rd party recording apps in the app store that lock the focus field? so pic the target and lock it in, it will keep that focus.