Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
My mother is not very tech proficient and wants to get either an iPad or a MacBook. One of the things I'd like to be able to do is remotely log into the device and assist her when she has problems, rather than having to physically go to her. I know this can be done with a Mac, but with an iPad?

Is there a way to remotely log into an iPad and access it to change settings, and possibly open apps, etc.?

Thanks.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I know you can do it through LogMeIn Rescue. Bad news is, it's pretty darn expensive for a LogMeIn licence and even moreso if you want that functionality.

So although I haven't been particularly helpful, I can confirm it's possible. Hopefully somebody here has a suggestion for a free alternative.

Reactions: stanw

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The LogMeIn Rescue website is pretty vague about what can actually be done. I'm thinking, but I could be wrong, that the iOS device can connect to a support person who can show pictures of what the end user needs to do. If someone has a link to a video demonstrating remote control of an iOS device that isn't jailbroken I'd like to see it.

There are definitely services that can monitor iOS device configuration and status but they're not VNC-type things.

The number of people that get burned by scammers gaining control of their computers is alarming and it's a good thing that it isn't allowed in iOS.

Additionally, screen mirroring of an iPad via Airplay to an Apple TV can be done on a local network only.

I'm thinking you'll have to get her a Mac if you want this ability. She'll probably need a lot more assistance with a Mac, unfortunately.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
My mother is not very tech proficient and wants to get either an iPad or a MacBook. One of the things I'd like to be able to do is remotely log into the device and assist her when she has problems, rather than having to physically go to her. I know this can be done with a Mac, but with an iPad?

Is there a way to remotely log into an iPad and access it to change settings, and possibly open apps, etc.?

Thanks.
My mother (also not tech savvy) lives overseas and I supported her use of Mac and iPad for years until she was about 93. Even though I couldn't log into the iPad, I found it simple (well not quite simple but workable) enough to talk her through things on the phone. She didn't use more than the basic Apple apps like Mail, Photos and Safari.
Supporting the OSX needed a little more tending, but there are plenty of ways to log in remotely. She used writing apps like Word on Mac, with a multifunction printer/scanner.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
does she have a mac too? If so, you can do it via imessage and quicktime and screenshare the iapd, otherwise it's fairly difficult.

alternatively, you could use and app like reflector on your setup and screenshare with her, via youtube or other services. its about 12$ I think to purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.