is there a way to run facetime on 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rabbitjetta, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rabbitjetta macrumors member

I was wondering is there a way to run facetime on 3g network?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, jailbreak it and install My3G or 3G Unrestrictor.

3. rabbitjetta thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way without jailbreaking dont really want to mess up my iphone like my friends

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nope. No way to do it without jailbreaking. What do you mean you dont want to mess up your iphone like your friends did by jailbreaking? it's completely reversible if something goes wrong?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope.

6. rabbitjetta thread starter macrumors member

he restored his and he told me that it freezes and it stole 2gb. I dont know if it is true and dont really want this happening

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll only do that if you restore it from a backup rather then set it up as a new iPhone.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

You pretty much have to jailbreak if you want to use it. I occasionally use My3G, and it was really cheap---around $2 or so, and well worth it. I don't see why you should be worried about jailbreaking. It's nearly impossible for you to brick your phone or do irreversible damage to it, since you can always restore it with iTunes or DFU mode to factory-fresh settings. It is a really easy procedure too.

I used to jailbreak my device when I had the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G, and both of those ended up slowing down after a while of having them jailbroken. But the iPhone 4 has much better hardware, and as long as you don't install the programs that apply themes to your phone or other memory-intensive things, then it will function just as good as a phone that isn't jailbroken.

9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

10. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Facetime will eventually come to 3G and, in my opinion, sooner rather than later.
    But if you're really impatient, there's no option but JB (which I wouldn't do).

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1 If you completely reinstall ios, it should look like brand new again. Restoring from backup would cause a problem.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I refuse to install Winterboard as I find that it's the sole culprit with slowdowns. I haven't had once since I stopped using it.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Love that app, I don't think i've used FaceTime since..

14. aleni macrumors 68020

i use facebreak, and it's a great way to bypass apple restriction for facetime.

if u don't want to jailbreak your iPhone, then use tango app. it's cool but people who u want to facetime with have to get the tango app installed too.

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Is Google having issues today? Odd... I'm having no problems searching for 'facetime on 3G'.

16. izibo macrumors 6502

Thank you for your insightful comments.

17. JCCL macrumors 6502a

What is the purpose of having a forum then, If we should just look for everything in google ? Why do people feel the need of shooting down other people's questions.

18. aleni macrumors 68020

he's an ass.

if people don't post in the forum anymore, when u search for answer in google, there would be no alternative suggestion that can be found ever.

when i have problems about computers, i check on google and can find a lot of alternative answer from many sites, that really more convinience than only having 1 answer because people don't post question ever again on forum.

lucky many people post the same question on the internet and many people answer with sometimes different alternative answers.

thats what makes google as big and useful as the ass man thought.

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol @ all saying I'm an ass.

If the answer is already out there, why would one find it necessary to make a new thread? It would seem like a 10-second search on Google is faster than waiting for replies.

I believe that you are requested to SEARCH before making a new thread. It is mentioned in the FAQ and displayed under the 'subject' line.

Aleni, you sure sound mature, calling me an 'ass man' :rolleyes:

20. aleni macrumors 68020

lol. just kidding man. ehhhhmmmmmhmmm'asshmmmm!!... :D

21. sirslaysalot macrumors member

honestly, not in the US if the telcos have anything to say about it. it would overload the cell towers easily.

22. bigddybn macrumors member

BS.

At the end of the day everything is/will be data. A facetime call is a voice call the network doesn't have to process. Stop spewing this garbage.

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm not sure why people say this.

FaceTime uses about the same bandwidth as streaming YouTube - which admittedly, the networks aren't too keen on, but it's really not that much data (about 3MB per minute, which is tiny in comparison to a lot of usage scenarios).

The real reason for carriers to object is that you can place calls to virtually anywhere without paying anything. Obviously they could recoup that with data charges (assuming you aren't on an unlimited plan).