Is there a way to save a website to iPhone and transfer to PC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KTK1990, Jun 6, 2013.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

This Sunday my internet will be going out for about 12 hours for maintenance and I have a research paper to write. Is there a way I can do Google searches to get my research and transfer the site to my internet-less pc easily? It is just easier for me to read on my 17 inch laptop instead of my iPhone 5.

I can not tether my phone to my pc :(, I never got that option and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and don't want to lose it.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd go for the library, but otherwise an airprint compatible printer or trying to find something that will let you print as a PDF on the phone with the ability to transfer over....or screen shot and transfer as pictures. The real crux is the transfer since it will have to be somewhere on the phone that your computer can pull files from which is limited at best. Are you jailbroken? There may be some options there as well.

3. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't really go to the library as the school is taking down the entire network and resources down for maintenance (Email, blackboard, website, wifi, phone services, fire alarm monitoring, elevator systems, everything). The public library is next door to the building that's being shut down, but not sure if they use our network or not, I've never been there and don't have a library card in this state.

I will look into the save as pdf app, that is a good idea.

My phone is not jailbroken.

We do have an ATT wifi, but I do not know if it will allow me to log in as a school student when school login services are down, and not sure if it is housed in the same building as school wifi that is being shut down for the day, or in the cellphone tower on campus.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Why not go to a Starbucks or where ever they have a free wifi service?

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's....crazy that your school is taking down the entire network at the same time, but regardless, I highly doubt if the city's public library runs off the same network. If it's open it's easy to get a card (like 5 minutes easy) there, especially with the proximity to your college. Short of that I'd agree with the other poster about going somewhere like a coffee shop to grab access, it's not going to be easy to do what you're talking about (and I totally agree that reading that much info off your phone is not going to be desirable.)

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If this is an option...

Make bookmarks of the pages you want to revisit. Install safari on your computer, or install chrome on both your computer and phone, and make sure bookmarks are synced. As soon as you get back to your computer with internet, you will be able to pull those pages up.

Another option is to just do your research early, and actually save the content of the pages onto your hard drive. This way you can pull them up later without internet.

7. scaredpoet, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First off, that's absolutely crazy that your college/university is taking EVERYTHING down, including fire safety, elevators and phone services. In the colleges I work with, that would be unthinkable, as there would be serious public safety issues and liabilities involved.

That said: it's unlikely that the public library, even if it's next door, is using the same network as your college or university. Public libraries usually get their internet connections from the city/county governments that fund them, OR they buy their own internet access from the local cable/phone company using state/federal grant money, often at discounted rates. This should be separate from whatever arrangement your school has (usually commercial ISP for smaller private institutions, or for bigger schools, an Educause/Internet2-type connection from the nearest Gigapop provider).

Bottom line: your college/school is often funded privately or from a different branch of government than municipal public libraries, so they almost always get their internet from different sources.

Most public libraries don't require you to have a library card to get in the front door or use their internet access. in any case, you should probably give them a call, visit their website, or go there and talk to them before the internet is shut off in your building to see what they can do for you. Nowadays, most libraries are very happy to have people use their services, even if it's just to sit and use their wifi for a while.

If a login is required, chances are the server that checks logins/passwords will be down at the same time that everything else is out.