Is there a way to send/receive SMS or MMS free?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by undergroundHACK, May 7, 2010.

1. undergroundHACK macrumors regular

I'm jailbroke on a iPhone 3G. My wife is too. I want to see if I can cancel the $30/month fee for unlimited texting - or find a better option, other than lowering the plan to $10/monthly for 100 texts, etc...

Is there a way (JB or not) to send/receive texts on iPhone for free? I see BiteSMS but it requires credits? Ugh...other options?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

TextNow from the App Store. That will give you an email address that your friends can text to and it will show up with push messaging on your phone and you can reply in an SMS like application. Next release will even support MMS.

If you want it to look like it's coming from a Phone number and you have Google Voice, you can set it up so the TextNow email address is your Google Voice SMS forwarding email address.

I hate playing for SMS messages. I get the $5/mo plan for 200 just in case people send me messages to my regular number. I usually then respond with TextNow so I don't get charged for longer conversations.

Best thing about this solution... No JB necessary!