Is there a way to sort by kind and name?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big D 51, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

kind.png

I started a thread on this a week ago, and asked the mods to delete because I thought I solved the problem; however, I didn't. I like to sort my files by kind, but as you can see from the image above, it is not sorted by name as well (look at folders). How can I fix this so all folders will open by kind and by name? :confused:

Thank you.

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

looks like that was taken mid-dropbox sync. I'm willing to bet if you look again once the sync of the one folder was complete, it was properly placed in order. It technically was sorting by kind and then name (the synced type folders first, then syncing folders second)

3. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

ahhhhh. Good point. I will update once it is finishing syncing. Thank you for the post.

4. HabSonic macrumors regular

Finder: command+J

My OS is not in english but it should be something like:
    Group by kind
    Sort by name

5. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

You got it! :apple: Thank you. My sort by was going by date modified, and by right clicking in the finder window only gave me one option.

I would be lost without these forums. :apple: Thank you again.

UPDATE: One more question (sorry). How can I make this new change effect all windows? When I went back, it only affected the one window I was in?

6. HabSonic macrumors regular

I don't think you can. You need to do it for every folders in the Finder's left pane. It can be a bit annoying, but it's still fast because you don't have to close the "view options" window every time.

7. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I thought but making sure. Sucks, but oh well. It is what it is. Thank you for chiming in.

8. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

This is driving my crazy. Why is this in reverse order?

It is sorted by name?

pic.png

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Click the "Name" column and it should reverse the order to the standard A-Z alphabetical order.

10. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Thank miles. First, I had to change to "arrange by" to none so it would let me reverse the order. Then I had to go back to change the arrange by to kind and sort by name. This is insane I have to do this for every folder. Clicking "use as default" isn't changing them all.

Thanks again.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Clicking "Use as default" will change enclosed folders as well for some settings. I'm not sure if that is true for your particular group of preferred settings.

12. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I just use the Clean Up By option on Lion, because if you sort it but Kind or Size it will section everything out. One thing i hate about Lion.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Seems like that gives you the option you want, and the people who like it the other way are happy too.