Is there a way to stop Safari from opening new windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ksgant, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Okay, I have in the preferences "Open links from applications: in a new tab in the current window" selected. I have all the options clicked in the "Tabs" preferences but I can't make Safari to ALWAYS open a new link in a new tab. If I middle click on something, sure, it opens up in a new tab. But sometimes if I just click a link on a webpage it will open a whole new window. Firefox doesn't do this. I can set it to where all new windows open a new tab.

Yes, I know I can hold down Option when clicking on a link, but that's cumbersome. I want EVERYTHING to go to a new tab. Always. I never ever ever want to see a whole new Safari window opened up. It's just clutter to me.

There has to be a way to force everything to go to a tab without having to also hold down some key combination, yes? Am I missing some preference check?

2. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

In case anyone else wants to know this, type:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true
    in a terminal window and it will do what I just asked.

3. agillett macrumors newbie

4. EricJD macrumors regular

External applications seem to still be opening new windows even after that terminal command.. :confused:

5. geiger macrumors newbie

Doesnt work for me either

I hate the screen clutter. There has to be a solution

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Saft is a Safari add on that forces all 'new windows' to open in a new tab instead. It does tons of other stuff too. 'Autocomplete Always On' is one of my favorites. Its $12.

7. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Or GLIMS since it's free. I use it and it works perfectly. Will solve your problem and give you a bunch of cool features... like full screen mode :)

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

This issue is what keeps me with Firefox. With free extensions, it has superior tab-handling features. All links open in tabs. Clicking a tab toggles to the previously viewed tab. Many more features are available, if needed.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'll give it a try and see how it compares.