Is there a way to switch between 9400 and 9600 in Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 11, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Just curious because I want to conserve battery and not use as much heat. I don't really need the 9600 that's in my 15" uMBP mid range.

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

No. Apple drivers revert to using the 9600GT when in Windows. They don't give you option to switch like they do in mac OSX.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Darn, do you think there will be accomodations at some point? That sucks.

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yes, I wish you could switch between them as well. I suspect its an Apple issue and not a Windows issue as Sony's can switch on the fly.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope,
    its just not windows either. I use fedora and there's no way to change over to the 9400m in Linux :(

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It looks like, if you would like to run Windows on a 15" MBP, expecting reasonable heat levels and battery life, and don't need powerful graphics, the 2.53GHz model is the one to get. Is that a correct assumption?

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

be prepared to buy a laptop mouse too. The trackpad drivers are terrible by comparison to using it in OSX.

9. phrint macrumors 6502

I thought so too but then I started playing with the control panel for Boot Camp and the trackpad works just fine. I still use a mouse anyway with my MBP but tweaking on the Windows side is worth it.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope, not anymore. With the latest Boot Camp 3.1 drivers, functionality is on par with that of OS X. There are no more sensitivity issues and click/drag recognition now is now flawless. The only "problem" would be scrolling speed but that's more of a setting tweak in Windows.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Oops... You are right. Its the scrolling speed thats terrible (could not remember). Also click and drag still does not work very well, but I do not use that in OSX either.