Is there a way to switch on your iMac wirelessly?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hleewell, Jul 10, 2012.

1. hleewell macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to switch on your iMac wirelessly? Is there an iPhone or iPad app that could do this? From a sleep sate to login page? Is there any way you could boot your iMac wirelessly from "a complete shutdown" state?

I heard there is a guy who could do this with his cellphone and I remember this is before iPhone or App Store hits the market.

I know this is a bit juvenile and there is nothing wrong with using physical keyboard to log in. But I am just curious and I want to prove wrong the guy who said it could be done.

Thanks for any tip.

2. BSoares macrumors regular

I've done it. App is iShutdown.

You have to configure your router to forward wake on LAN packets and also configure the iMac to wake when it gets those packets. I had to give mine a static IP too. What I didn't like was that the iMac would wake up and go back to sleep maybe once every couple of hours (Apple says this is normal if you enable WOL). So I ended up turning it off and getting rid of iShutdown.

If you need it then it can be useful. I had done it just because it's cool :)

3. hleewell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I heard you can do that with an iPhone. Is there any way you could do it w/ a regular cellphone?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Can u just VNC into it, that would probably wake it up.

5. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I have been looking for this app FOREVER! haha thanks a million. :D

6. BSoares macrumors regular

Not sure... In theory if it can send WOL packets it may work, especially if you know the iMac's IP but I can't tell for sure.

Besides, why would anyone want a phone that is not an iPhone? LOL, just kidding...

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

From a hard shutdown?

I made a remote switch for a basement computer to be activated via remote. Just hard wire a relay + cellphone on silent (relay powered by vibrate motor) and don't give that phone # to anyone! ;)

I did a similar thing in the late 90s with a remote starter and cheapo pager inside my car. Loved it, land @ airport, call the car, then toasty ride was waiting. (along with freaked out parking lot attendants on occasion) :D

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401106

It is impossible to use a basic T9 phone to power on a computer that is 100% completely shutdown.