Is there a way to tell if your charging cable is certified?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Feb 8, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

I've bought a bunch of charging cables over the past year. I never knew the importance of certified cables until recently. So now that I know, I wanted to toss the cables that are not certified. Is there a way to tell which ones are certified?

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You should get a pop up message that states the accessory is not certified and may not work properly when you plug it into an IOS device. Also the Lightning connector will usually look differently than the Apple version.

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Your apple one will have a serial number engraved into it! Easiest way to know if real!

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Pretty much any lightning cable you bought for less than $10 is probably not certified. The cheapest verified cables I've seen at the amazon basics ones for $12. I think the monopruce ones are certified and about the same price.

All of the non certified lightning cables have very cheesy connectors. They just look cheap. I have a couple 3rd party certified cables and the connectors look sturdier than apples. That's probably the easiest way to check.

5. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I have a thrad on that no need to make a new one