Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Topic.. is there a way to tell if an app is native or emulated via Rosetta? I guess i'm anal enough to the point where I want to know if my Universal apps are running in which form.. I wish there was an indicator or something that would tell me what processes are being emulated or not.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Topic.. is there a way to tell if an app is native or emulated via Rosetta? I guess i'm anal enough to the point where I want to know if my Universal apps are running in which form.. I wish there was an indicator or something that would tell me what processes are being emulated or not.
Do Cmd-I on the app; it likely will have the information you seek.

Reactions: Diversion

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Universal apps will always run in ARM-native mode unless you go out of your way to force them to run in Rosetta mode.

As majus says, Cmd-I on the app and you will see the check box for "Run in Rosetta" - if it is empty, you're running native. If it's checked, you're running Intel-translated.

You can also launch Activity Monitor, and it can show you if an app is running in "Apple" or "Intel" mode. Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 2.36.54 PM.png

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Do Cmd-I on the app; it likely will have the information you seek.

Looks like that's good to see what kind it is on the .app file (they show Intel or Universal). Would be cool to have a tool that shows actual processes that are Intel or Universal as well.. Perhaps in due time.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Universal apps will always run in ARM-native mode unless you go out of your way to force them to run in Rosetta mode.

As majus says, Cmd-I on the app and you will see the check box for "Run in Rosetta" - if it is empty, you're running native. If it's checked, you're running Intel-translated.

You can also launch Activity Monitor, and it can show you if an app is running in "Apple" or "Intel" mode. View attachment 1674233

Ahh this is what I was looking for! I didn't realize Activity Monitor showed Intel/Apple.. thank you!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
If you want to see all your Apps on your Mac and see if they are Universal or Intel (Rosetta 2) then click on the Apple Logo, choose 'About this Mac'. Then hit the storage tab, then the 'Manage' Button. In the next screen click Applications in the left hand pane and it will show all your apps. Kind column will tell you if it is Universal or not.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 22.43.20.png

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
If you want to see all your Apps on your Mac and see if they are Universal or Intel (Rosetta 2) then click on the Apple Logo, choose 'About this Mac'. Then hit the storage tab, then the 'Manage' Button. In the next screen click Applications in the left hand pane and it will show all your apps. Kind column will tell you if it is Universal or not.

View attachment 1674242
Oh this is awesome too! Thank you!

Reactions: James_C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.