Is there a way to text message in landscape?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDance511, Jan 24, 2009.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

hello everyone, I have a 16 GB White iPhone 3G... I love it. It is the best phone I have ever had. The only thing I don't like is that when you text you have to do it with the phone face up i guess.. The keyboard is not that bad, but if it was sideways it would be so much better.. Is there a way to do this without jail breaking? I don't want to do that because I like my phone the way it is just fine... anyhow thanks guys..

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

No, just jailbreaking

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Or, you can download SMS Touch or SMS Landscape from the App Store.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

There are a few apps in the app store for it, though they are not a complete solution. Jailbreaking has a few more options, but this is arguably one of the most wanted features for future software upgrades. Apple has to know, lol..so im sure it will come eventually.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Apple needs to fix this issue because it has been complained about since the iPhone's release. It is easier to text in landscape mode....period! Apple are you listening?

6. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

dont be silly, nobody wants landscape for texting or email... so sayeth apple. on the serious side, not yet. i hope they are working on it. it would seem like such a simple thing.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I wonder why nobody has made an app to do this.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Probably for some but I got used to text in portrait mode and it is so easy and fast IMO. I would love if Apple just had both of those features as an option.

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You missed the third post probably...

10. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah... hopefully it will come in a software update soon...

11. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I hope it comes with an update. Its one of the reasons i jailbroke. I like landscape texting. Bitesms works great.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

I agree it should be an option because portrait mode only works well for ladies hands, I need landscape mode for my hands.

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow stop whining

oh and way to be sexist at the same time -__-

14. davyreins macrumors 6502

Yeah the apps that they have in the app store are pretty sub par for what you would want

15. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I know it's not for texting but if you use IM at all Beejive does landscape keyboard (and is a great app).

16. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Geez, is that how you think?

You've said what I was suppose to say.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

Don't be offended, I apologize if so. I really meant ladies hands, not men with ladies hands. Not sure how that is being sexist but okay. In portrait mode your hands are all crunched up. Sure this may work fine for tiny hands but not for mine. But I guess for single handed use of the keyboard it might work fine, I will have to try that and see.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I would only want landscape texting if I'm laying down. Try laying down and texting someone. You can't hold the freaking phone! However, landscape mode allows you to grip the phone easier, but it IS HARDER to type in landscape. I make a lot more mistakes typing in landscape because the letters are too far apart.

19. Resist macrumors 68030

Farther apart makes it easier to hit the correct buttons. This is one reason why many phones use a landscape type layout. When you think about it, a keyboard is landscape and I couldn't see typing on my computer using a portrait type keyboard.

20. TheMBC macrumors 6502

biteSMS works nicely, of course a jailbreak app, but as some have said there are apps in the Apps Store.

I only got biteSMS for SMS forwarding...