is there a way to toggle Personal Hotspot for WIFI only?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pandap, Aug 25, 2011.

1. pandap macrumors newbie

Here's my situation. My gf has an WIFI IPad 2 and a 3G iPhone with no data plan. So i wanted a way permanently turn on my personal hotspot (on an iPhone 4)so that she could use my 3g connection whenever she wants when we're spending time together without me having to turn it on and off.

Yes, i could just leave it on the whole time.
    But then whenever I plug my iPhone in to my MBP for iTunes sync/charging purposes, the personal hotspot triggers and start sharing my 3G data to my laptop through USB. Now I have to turn it off. And next time when my gf wants to use my data, I have to turn it on again.

Is there a legit/apple way to set the personal hotspot permanently on AND USB tethering permanently off at the same time? I mean, in the rare case where I need to tether my MBP, i could still join my personal hotspot with WIFI(not through the wire) right?

If not, is there a cydia tweak to do that? I tried both SBSettings tethering toggle and the personal hotspot toggle. They don't really work the way I wanted it to. Suggestions?

2. mgirg macrumors regular

Yep Just go into the Network settings on your mac and disable he USB tethering from there.

3. pandap thread starter macrumors newbie

k i did that! works perfectly...Thanks a bunch!

now my questions is...what if for some reason i want to turn it back on?
    after i disable it, it doesn't say disabled...it's just gone forever..

4. mgirg macrumors regular

just click the + in the network prefs pane under the network options (when your iphone is connected by usb) and it should come up with the option to reconnect