is there a way to track an ipone on line.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aferndale, Jan 2, 2008.

1. aferndale macrumors newbie

I want to track someone with an iphone. Is there a way to track the where abouts of the phone as it moves around town?

Any sort of app that can do this?

2. collinsra macrumors member

collinsra

From what I have researched, it looks like no. Im almost sure that would violate some privacy laws. Maybe if you could get something like lojack for the iPhone...but as far as being able to just type in a serial number and see where the phone is, sorry but it looks like no.:(

3. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

You can do this with Navizon I believe, it has a buddy finder feature.

4. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Dude, you are one crazy mofo. How do we know this isn't some girl (or guy) you're stalking who is not interested in you in the least? Creepppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

5. aferndale thread starter macrumors newbie

It's nothing illegal but there is a custody battle involved, and I would like to win for the safety and wellbeing of my kid. It is sad, but not creepy.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

The point is dude that you cant just ask a public forum a question like that without giving some kind of explanation. No one cares to give out information that is illegal that could get them banned from the site or worse. Otherwise you could be stalking someone or something weird and creepy like that.

7. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Got ya...Well, even though there is no program I know of that could do this, but theoretically, one could write a program that piggybacks off the iPhones built in accelerometer to grab instantaneous acceleration results and then perform the necessary integrals to arrive at an (x,y,z) position. Compared to the original (x,y,z) position, you could find out where the phone ultimately arrived.....but this would all be after the fact. Not to mention, you'd have to find a way to get the program unto the phone.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

that wouldnt really help because you would have to know exact starting coordinates. and while yours is a interesting way to go about it, a simple cell tower triangulation method would work much better

9. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Well, if he knew where she lived, it would be simple enough to get a starting point for a particular circumstance.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah but it would eat up battery life because it would constantly have to be relaying coordinates to the person who wanted them, or at least it would constantly have to be doing the calculations. if a triangulation was used it would provide instant feed back and only use small amount of battery at one point in time

11. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Nice advertising on a 3, nearly 4, year old thread

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

For he love of god why did you revive this thread ??? It's been dead and buried for 5 months and you just randomly chime in:eek::confused::confused::confused: