Is there a way to track hits without Google Analytics/other web-based Analytics apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by jimmyco2008, Jul 10, 2014.

1. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm getting more and more aggravated with Google Analytics, and I'm wondering if there's a way to track hits/visits either with Server.app or another app I can install directly on my OS X Server...

I don't need to know the goddamn Flash Version on people's devices, I just really need to know how many visits each site gets. This seems like something Apple should have integrated into OS X Server a long time ago... Just look at the logs and see how many times a connection was established on port 80, no? Perhaps it's not quite that simple, but still, there has to be an easier way than to look at the logs and count.

2. ratsg macrumors 6502

There are hundreds of web counters and log file statistics programs available in the Unix world, free and commercial.

I'm assuming that you have looked into those already, and haven't found one that meets some specific need. If so, please post your unique requirements and I have no doubt that someone will be able to help.

If you haven't look at what is out there already, please point your browser to your favorite search engine and do some exploring.

3. jeamland macrumors newbie

Isn't this just basic log file analysis?

You can go all fancy and do all kinds of analysis on your log files, just load them up and away you go! This isn't an "Apple should..." thing, this is just basic log file analysis. Just google "apache combined log analysis" and you'll find dozens of tools.....

4. tomsdongle macrumors newbie

tomsdongle

Give Piwik a try - I use it in a production environment, its very good.

5. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies!

No, I suppose I don't have specific needs, I just didn't know what to Google. Apache Combined Log Analysis, got it!

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Simple page analytics could be written out to a text file or database file. A single line of PHP or a couple lines of javascript could do it. You could even compare page hits Vs page abandonment, really anything you wanted.