is there a way to track replies to my posts?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by chill., Nov 21, 2009.

1. chill. macrumors 6502

when my post in a thread get replied to, i would like a notification and be able to see the new replies. is there a way to do this?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this might be nice but for me, o would only like a notification if my post was quoted

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You could subscribe to the threads via e-mail.

4. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I asked about this once before and also found a thread from 2007 on this topic.

The subscription method is good but doesn't notify you of every single post, which is why it would be good to implement a system where emails are sent specifically if you are quoted.

Unfortunately this system doesn't exist yet, but I did read a suggestion that said to simply do a MacRumors/MRoogle search for your username - "most of the results are quoted posts...unless you're immensely popular, and everybody's just dropping your name here and there." :)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wanted this as well and found that subscribing to every thread you posted in is just fine. I set up a separate GMail account so the notifications wouldn't necessarily clog my inbox.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

There's something else you can do if you don't want to auto-subscribe to threads. A while back someone suggested this (Mitthrawnoruodo, IIRC) and now it's the first thing I do when I get onto macrumors.

Replace the "YOU" with your username and bookmark the URL (NOT the search result, which is session specific.)

Code:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=YOU&exactname=1

It searches every thread you've ever posted in and gives the results back in chronological order to recent posts.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Great idea! But what about users such as me with spaces between words? What character do we put? "_?"

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

%20

Unspoken%20Demise

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think from a technology perspective the biggest issue with knowing if somebody quotes your post is... did they actually quote it? Some people click "Quote" instead of "Reply" so you can't go off that. Some people just leave the Quote there if they do Quote even if they don't need it. And some people don't quote but instead put something like "^^^^^" to denote they are responding to the previous one. There's just really no surefire trigger for it I don't think.

I personally don't want a way for users to send me a mass of forum generated e-mails, malicious or not.

Currently I just subscribe to every thread I post it and use that view to see updated threads. Not great of course but works for me. Everybody has their preferences though.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Thank you, yes. I forgot about that.