Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Is there a way to trim down (crop) some of the screen in imovie or Final Cut Pro? Basically I have a clip of someone being interviewed but the camera person failed to center the interviewee so theres extra unncessary stuff on the whole right side of the shot. Is there any way in either imovie or Final Cut to only have the part of the screen that the interview subject is in? If so, how? Thanks!

Im looking for an effect that's similar to cropping a photo.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
jayeskreezy said:
Is there a way to trim down some of the screen in imovie or Final Cut Pro? Basically I have a clip of someone being interviewed but the camera person failed to center the interviewee so theres extra unncessary stuff on the whole right side of the shot. Is there any way in either imovie or Final Cut to only have the part of the screen that the interview subject is in? If so, how? Thanks!

I haven't used the latest version of iMovie, but I know this is very easy to do in FCP, though it doesn't always turn out very crisp. You will have to judge for yourself how much quality loss is justifiable in zooming the picture. To zoom the image in FCP:

- Select your clip in the timeline, and make sure the playhead is over it.

- Go to the preview window (defaults to the upper right corner)

- Along the top of the window there are small rounded drop-down menu buttons with symbols on them. Select the one on the right side, and pick the menu option "Image+Wireframe", then you can move the picture around in the frame, and zoom it in and out. :)

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
thank you...the easiest way to do it in imovie was to simply download a free cropping plugin

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
you can use this one by downloading the demo pack it gives you the crop one free: HERE

OR

you can use this one
here

personally, I like the second one better because it allows you to change the opacity of the background.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
I just wanted to say that the camera man is right. You never ever want to center your subject in a movie and specially a sit down interview. Alyways crop the top of there hair or off center them. This makes for a good composition, and if they are talking and are sponsored or something try to get the sponsor logo in there on one side. This all just makes for good composition and stick to the rule of thirds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.