Is there a way to troubleshoot the Mini DisplayPort?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by green.treefrog, Mar 16, 2010.

1. green.treefrog macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2010
    I'm having a problem getting the signal out through the Mini DisplayPort. It might be the adapter or it may be something else.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to check to see if the Mini DisplayPort is functioning properly.

Is there any other way to get audio/video out from the MBP other than through the Mini DisplayPort?
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Currently the mini DisplayPort built into Macs does not transfer audio, you still need a 3.5mm RAC or TOS-LINK cable for that.

There are USB adapters to extend the desktop, maybe you can use that?

I assume you don't have warranty anymore?

Do you have another adapter or display?
  3. green.treefrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2010
    Yes. I see about the audio. I wasn't sure if that came through with the video.

I'm trying to get the signal out to a projector. I tried it with the adapter (mini display port to vga) but it didn't work. I don't know if it's the port or the adapter that is no good. I don't have a warranty on the MBP - someone gave it to me.

I actually tried the firmware update for this since there are issues with the whole configuration but the firmware was unable to install. It's either the adapter or the port. I was just wondering if I could do anything to see if the port was malfunctioning.

That's a good idea about using the USB port. I have to look into it to see if there are any adapters that will be compatible with my projector.