Is there a way to turn off an iPad without the power button?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Like an app or some secret way of doing it? It was possible with the HP Touchpad via settings.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If you go into settings -> general -> accessibility then turn assistive touch on. You can then go onto that menu and into device and if you hold lock screen it should give you the slide to unlock. Its quite a bit of effort to turn off your phone but if you don't want to jailbreak it. Could set assistive touch to triple click the home button to make it a bit faster.

Comment

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
If you go into settings -> general -> accessibility then turn assistive touch on. You can then go onto that menu and into device and if you hold lock screen it should give you the slide to unlock. Its quite a bit of effort to turn off your phone but if you don't want to jailbreak it. Could set assistive touch to triple click the home button to make it a bit faster.
You get Five :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: Stars for that

Thanks you solved my problem! No need to ever touch the Lock or Home buttons. :)

Comment

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I have no idea what happened. It's either the device that failed twice or I broke the center click wheel. So that's why I want to avoid using the buttons on the iPad if I can. I also read that the iPad is susceptible to failed Home buttons. Not sure if that's a rumor or if it's true but I don't want to find out.

But like I said I do like to find different way of doing things. :)

Comment

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I try and avoid touching that home button as much as possible too. I didn't really bother with this with my first iPad but with this one I'm treating it more carefully as I've heard about problems with people ruining their home button.

Comment

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I'm having problems with getting gestures to work, probably cause I don't understand how to set that up. But it sounds like a really cool idea. :)

Comment

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm having problems with getting gestures to work, probably cause I don't understand how to set that up. But it sounds like a really cool idea. :)
Yeah. I don't bother with the assistive touch gestures. I use the multi-finger gestures to go home and such.

Comment

Dawood fix

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
This method works for any I device firstly go to Settings>General>Accesibility>Assisted touch and turn it on after in any corner of your screen there will a circle press on it press device then to shut down your device hold lock screen then it will say slude to power off.:apple:

Attachments

Comment

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
do you want a way of using the touch screen without touching it as well?

The buttons are there for a reason, if they break they break. If you're that worried about them breaking then get applecare.

Comment

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I have no idea what happened. It's either the device that failed twice or I broke the center click wheel. So that's why I want to avoid using the buttons on the iPad if I can. I also read that the iPad is susceptible to failed Home buttons. Not sure if that's a rumor or if it's true but I don't want to find out.

But like I said I do like to find different way of doing things. :)
Might I recommend not buying an iPad instead of indulging some ridiculous and irrational fear? Then you don't have to touch the damn thing at all.

Comment

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
To each his own, but my philosophy is to just use your device and not worry about such things. The buttons are meant to be pressed. It's what they are built and tested for. If they break or wear out from normal use then it's Apple's fault, not yours.

Comment

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I remove the front door to my house by the hinges to gain entry so as to avoid wearing the door knob.

I have my car's idle set to 3000 RPM so I don't wear the accelerator pedal.

Comment

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
Can never get my head around people who spend so much on a device to do things then dont use it properly for fear of harming its sell on value or the off chance it might break.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.