Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Question for all you savy Mac OS X people out there.

Is there a way to turn off the little bluetooth message box that pops up for a second or two on the screen when a bluetooth device is connected or connection is lost?

I would love it if that were possible.

I've looked but haven't found a way to turn it off yet. Then yet I've not as knowledgeable about Mac OS X as most.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Go to System Preferences>Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and Discoverable off.

I think you misunderstood my question.

Then none of my bluetooth devices will be able to connect. I still want them to connect, I just don't want that message box to pop up every time they either connect or disconnect.

I have a non-Apple bluetooth keyboard that goes into sleep mode within 10 minutes of inactivity and when it does that the connection is lost. That box appears and it is annoying.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have a logitech V470 bt mouse that has always fallen asleep when I walk up and want to use it. I must click a button and I get a picture of a mouse on my screen showing that it has once again started working. I like this. It lets me know it's working. I don't think I've ever seen the dialog, of if I have it's been so long ago I don't remember. Perhaps back when I had a blackberry and let it pair with my Mac. I'm just not sure.

I have the same mouse on my work issued win 7 pc. Whenever I boot up or come back on from standby, I have to look at a rather large box telling me my bt is not discoverable. Well duh. No crap. If I want it discoverable, I'll make it discoverable. I bet the only way to shut that off is to shut off bluetooth. I wish I had some idea what the box looks like that you are complaining about. I can tell you that the one on win 7 takes up what seems like 1/8 of the screen telling me I should leave my bt discoverable all the time. What is the issue with the box you get? Is it in the way of doing something? If it is in the way, does it not go away quickly enough? I would imagine there is some preference that would allow you to shut it off but it might involve getting one of those aftermarket tweak programs like tinkertool. Macs are actually a lot more configurable than PCs, it's just that Apple doesn't put all those configs in your face all the time and every now and then you have to visit the Terminal or use 3rd party software to get something set up the way you like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.