Is there a way to unlock an iPhone 3GS without jailbraking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hdsalinas, Aug 5, 2010.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

My Dad might switch carriers and his new carrier has offered him a free iPhone 3GS. He says that he is willing to exchange his iPhone for my Blackberry.

I am tied to my company's plan (from another carrier) so I would have to unlock the iphone to use it with my SIM.

How simple it is to unlock an iphone to use it with a different carrier? Should I upgrade it to IOS 4 first?

Do I have to jailbreak the phone first in order to unlock it? And can I un-jailbreak my phone later and leave it unlocked to be able to install updates?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Here's my opinion

For a 3GS you might as well leave it on whatever iOS version it's on, 4 is more of a resource hog.

Yes, you must unlock before you jailbreak, as it's the jailbreak that lets the unofficial unlock code run on the phone.

No you can't unjailbreak later if you want to stay unlocked. But you can unjailbreak if you need to go to the Apple store with a hardware problem.

(All this is dependent on your carrier being GSM compatible, ie not Verizon, Sprint etc in the USA)

Hope that helps.

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Just jailbreak it. It takes no more than a minute.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have this backwards. You must jailbreak before you can unlock.

6. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Thanks,

I am outside the US. The carrier that offers the iPhone here in Honduras is Claro and the one I have is TIGO. Both are GSM only so there should not be any problems.