Is there a way to use a touch when the screen doesn't work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by netrate, Jun 10, 2012.

1. netrate macrumors member

I tried to repair an ipod touch and I am guessing that I messed up the screen connection. It turns on, but does not respond to any touching of the screen.
    Is there a way to use it still? I am going to try it in my ipod dock radio, but I think that only controls the volume. Is there a remote control or something that might help this to work?

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

With a downloaded app, your iPod Touch can act as a remote, but it can not be operated remotely since it has no IR receiver.

Open up the patient again to see if you can find out what you missed during your last repair job. Were you following an iFixit guide or something similar when you did the last repair?

3. tehpea macrumors member

If you get the Apple Universal Dock, you can control it using the Apple Remote (physical thing, not the app). When your device is docked, it will respond to commands sent by the Remote to the IR receiver on the dock. ie, you can tell it to play by using the remote and it will.

4. thegreati macrumors regular

recheck your repair work, see if you tore the digitizer cable, or maybe its not even fully plugged in. Other than that you could try the repair again with a fresh piece of glass.

5. Joshlll macrumors newbie

Joshlll

My 2nd gen iPod Touch 32 GB was a beast, I opened it up like 2 times because random dirt found it's way to the screen to clean it out.

The end result is I mistakenly the 3rd time opened it.... I cracked the glass trying to open it the wrong way XD oh well, the touch still worked on the top portion. I went outside got a knife a and a pad lock, and then tried to shatter that glass or add more cracks.

Nope that thing was built perfectly cheers for Apple quality, it held up very well.
    -99 for my blood lust need to feel I had to finish it off though...

p.s. I made a solid attempt to try to turn it into a portable HDD, but you already know how that worked out. I only broke it cause I had no other ideas for it.:confused:

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Chances are the ribbon cable in the left corner isn't fully secured. The exact same thing happened to me. Try pinching/clipping the corner somewhat hard and see if the screen works while your pinching it.

7. Dark Dragon macrumors member

If your touch is jailbroken, and it has "Veency" installed, i think you can control it using any VNC Viewer on the PC