Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
hi all, title says it all... i'm a HUGE charlie rose fan, and i've held out on the ipad because of not being able to watch charlie rose episodes (in flash). alright, there are a few other reasons, as well. but i know there are some ways to view flash on the ipad.

has anyone watched charlie rose episodes on their ipad? if so, i would love to know how.

cheers

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Never watched Charlie Rose, but if the interviews aren't available on HTML5 video (lots of sites do both), you can try SkyFire browser for iPad. It lets you watch Flash video (the video is converted at SkyFire's servers).

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I just watched part of an episode in the Puffin browser and it worked fine. Video quality was definitely acceptable.

I think Puffin costs a couple of bucks but it generally works well for Flash stuff.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
I just watched part of an episode in the Puffin browser and it worked fine. Video quality was definitely acceptable.

I think Puffin costs a couple of bucks but it generally works well for Flash stuff.

thanks! that's what i was looking for... something that has been tried. much appreciated. i'll check out the recommendations too if i get an ipad. it is kind of silly how the ability to view charlie rose is a make-or-break for me, but it is.

sakamoto.ryouma

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
What about downloading the shows for watching when you don't have a connection (like when you're on an airplane)? Any suggestions?

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
What about downloading the shows for watching when you don't have a connection (like when you're on an airplane)? Any suggestions?

Not sure... I believe you can purchase the shows through google. Though, it has been a few years since I purchased a show. Not sure if the still do it.

----------

So I purchased puffin. It is a nice browser. Charlie rose loads and plays reasonably well. The picture is jumpy, but the audio is seamless.

Also, I downloaded the free Bloomberg tv app. Pretty awesome. They show recent Charlie rose interviews, too. So between that and puffin, Charlie rose is covered on the iPad!

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Seriously, anyone not using Photon web browser for their Flash needs, need to check it out. It's a tabbed browser that only activates Flash when you want it to, so it's not laggy and constantly having to go to remote servers. And i just watched a few Charlie Rose interviews on his website. No issues. Sky fire is a joke, comparatively.

As for watching downloaded videos on the go without a connection, AVPlayerHD is the only option. Drag and drop any video format into the app via iTunes. Once you are done watching you can delete directly from within the app to clear up space. Can create folders and move files from within the app as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.