Is there a way to "x" out of a program...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kuklachica, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kuklachica macrumors member

like in windows? I remember reading something about a download that allows you to do this (without going to file: quit). Anyone know if I was dreaming or if there really is a program to let you do this?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Applications contained in a single window will quit when you click the red button (iPhoto, System Preferences). All others will simply close the window.

To quit ANY app use command-q. It's quicker than hunting around for buttons with a mouse.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a very specific reason it does this, and the easy answer is no.

Use Cmd-Q.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you close a window that's what should happen. If you quit an app that's what should happen. Why would you want it to do something you didn't tell the app to do? Like quite when you just told it to close.

5. kuklachica thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys... I understand how to quit a program, etc., I am just really used to windows and sometimes tend to forget to actually quit the program and not just hit the "x". I am also not good at remember keyboard shortcuts. No matter how much I try to remember them, they just don't stick.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Command + Q is hardly something you need to remember. Quit starts with Q after all. It's not a big deal anyway if you leave an app running when you're not using it. The memory will just be passed to the disk if need be. If you really do notice a slow down then it's time to go through the dock or application switcher and quit apps.

7. freesonwang macrumors member

I do know what you're referring to (the hack that quits programs when you close the window) but I remember reading that it only affects certain programs and it not completely universal. I do forget what it was called though.

At one point you appreciate the Application/Window structure. Take for example any application where you have to open a lot of things - Photoshop, Microsoft Word. With Windows you have the application being run fresh for every document you open (and Photoshop is heavy, so it's like having 3 complete programs of Photoshop open). On a Mac, there's only one application open, and opening document windows is fast and not straining for the computer.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's one of the fundamental differences between OS X and Windows, you'll probably get used to it after a while.

You can also quit an app by right-clicking the icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit."