Is there a way?

jonathan.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Canada
Hi, long time reader, first time poster!

I would like to have Pages open a new blank document when I click its icon in the dock. I do not want the location chooser window showing up.

Thanks! :)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Unfortunately you cannot suppress that on an app by app basis as far as I am aware. It's a feature of Pages that does that whenever you open the app you have to choose an existing document or choose a new one. It's how the app is built.

The same feature exists in Textedit and other document based apps written by Apple.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"I would like to have Pages open a new blank document when I click its icon in the dock. I do not want the location chooser window showing up."

Here's what I did to accomplish this:

1. Open Pages
2. Create a blank document (with the appearance that you wish)
3. Save the blank document somewhere (desktop is a good place)
4. Quit Pages
5. Click ONE time on the icon for the blank Pages document to select it
6. Type "Command-i" (for "get info") -- the info box will appear
7. In the "general" area, put a check into the box for "stationery pad"
8. Close the get info box. The blank doc is now a "stationery pad". When you click it, Pages will open with a NEW "blank" document in front of you.

Now -- put this "blank Pages stationery pad" anywhere you wish. You can put it into the dock if you want, for a "one-click" solution. Or just leave it on your desktop.

When you want Pages to run, just double-click (or single click in the dock).

The same procedure will work with MS Word -- or with almost any app, for that matter.