Is there a Windows Mobile USB Driver for tethering via USB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kman79, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kman79 macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a Windows Mobile USB Driver that would allow me to tether my HTC Kaiser to my MacBook Pro via USB? I've been tethering via Bluetooth and that works fine, but doing it this way runs the battery down on my HTC quite fast, especially with HSDPA active. Also, it would allow me to keep the Macbook Pro plugged in and have the phone charged/charging via the USB connection, so that I don't kill the battery on the phone. I'm sure I'm not hte only Windows Mobile user here and I'm hoping someone else has found a solution. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm looking for a solution for this as well (I have an HTC Touch) so I figured I'd bump this. Anyone?

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I found a solution for a Windows Mobile Blackjack that did this, unfortunately I had to google for it for the better part of an hour to find it. I would also check on Howard forums.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've been searching for 2 days now and I haven't found anything yet. I don't understand why this is so difficult but it is.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Now that USB Modem supports tethering via USB in Leopard, does anyone know how I can use the included drivers to tether my Touch via USB? I do have phone as modem on my plan so there's no need for me to actually pay for (and use) USB Modem but I should be able to use the drivers to tether via USB on my Mac.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Thanks for that but I don't need to buy PDANet or USB Modem - I have phone as modem on my plan already. I basically just need to figure out how to get my Mac to recognize my Touch as a USB tethering device so that I can use its phone as modem capabilities via USB.

7. joeconvert macrumors 6502

And that's what they are trying to do for you. Mac OS X support for WM or anything else for that matter is horrible. Tethering is one of the areas that OS X lags far behind Windows. All they are doing selling the software to enable what you want to do.

I have no idea if that will work with a non-Treo WM phone, but I did have some success with it when I had a Treo.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So are you basically saying that there's no way to tether via USB on a Mac unless you use PDANet or USB Modem?

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Can you tell me how you were able to tether via USB on your Mac using your Treo? I just got the new Treo (800w) and I would love to be able to tether it via USB. I'm going away for the weekend and this could come in really handy if I can get it working. Thanks.

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I read this on the junefabrics site:

PdaNet supports Vista/Windows XP/2000 but does not support Mac over USB (only Bluetooth DUN is available for Mac). Click here if you have a non-Windows Mobile phone

As far as I can tell it seems only Bluetooth tethering is available. Anybody else have any ideas?

I found this in the archives maybe this will help somebody. My HTC just came in the post and I have to leave it charge a few hours before trying it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-561579.html