Is there activity or log history on OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rockadile, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Rockadile macrumors regular

Is there activity or log history on OSX?

I want to see what the technician has done when my computer is back from repair.

2. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

Aside from .bash_history and stuff in /var/log (e.g. system.log, install.log, etc)? Not much else unless you have other auditing enabled.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Console.app in Utilities gives you access to all the logs. There are a lot.

Console lets you sort, search, group, copy, export, whatever log files you need.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

There won't be anything that will be logged showing what work was done by the tech that worked on your computer. The logs only record information about what the system is doing or error conditions.

5. hiddenmarkov, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Was your issue hardware or software?

If hardware you won't see much. Or if something in bash best you'd find is them calling up text editor of some kind. Me I like nano...but that's me. Nothing in bash history would be detailed from this, all the changes in the config file(s) looked at would not be seen. This is why when I work on Linux systems I take good notes on what I am doing. All I see in my bash history is sudo nano somefilename usually followed by that services restart command.....whatever I did in that file not recorded.

EDIT: there are methods for these changes but that be a real geeky tangent of commenting in files, content versioning systems....bit outside this thread probably

If software besides bash history mentioned something might be in in your individual app logs, if they even have them.

Even in windows not all application tie into the central logging system besides application log (which most times are vague and has you really need to go to the actual application logs files anyway).

Where your app logs would be you'd have to research from them. What would be in those logs can vary as well.