Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmptyWallet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
BESIDES us all hoping we get them on the 19th....is there actually a difference in getting the 3GS at ATT vs. the Apple Store?

In terms of the level of service you'll get if something happens to your phone? Won't you just end up at the Apple Store eventually anyway?

This is regarding returns, exchanges, getting something fixed or anything else you can think of.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
By reading on these forums I believe that Apple doesn't actually reserve one for you but AT&T does. To "reserve" one on the Apple website you just enter your Apple ID. No payment required. But don't take my word for it. I just saw a few other posters talking about this.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
There's no actual difference except for the shirts :D

Jk I don't think so whether you buy the phone at Apple or AT&T both companies have the ability to exchange, return, etc. for you.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Should anything happen, it will all be dealt with based on your warranty terms with Apple, regardless of where you purchased it (including ebay, bestbuy, walmart, etc).

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Its all pretty much the same...experience might be a little nicer at the Apple Store,but I went to AT&T last time,and it was just fine

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Amazingly enough, I bought two 3G iPhones from the Apple Store and two others from the AT&T Corporate Store; and when one of the AT&T Store iPhones needed to be replaced/exchanged at the Apple Store, they asked me if I bought it at Apple or AT&T, I replied "this one is from AT&T" and the Genius told me to take it back to AT&T, (which was down the street, fortunately) and AT&T gave me a brand new one from the iPhone box and I got to unwrap it once again. I think this was due to the lack of available 3G iPhones at that time. Would have been messed up if they made me go all the way back to Palm Springs to exchange it.....:eek::eek::eek:

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
There's no actual difference except for the shirts :D

Jk I don't think so whether you buy the phone at Apple or AT&T both companies have the ability to exchange, return, etc. for you.

That's not always true.

I have been told by at least 2 different AT&T reps and 2 different Apple reps that, when my last phone had problems, I HAD to take the phone to an Apple Store or send it to them. The guy at the AT&T store talked to like 3 other people and one of their phone service people I called said the same thing, so I don't think it was just a misunderstanding.

I don't know why I had to do it this way, but at least I was only without it for about 4 days and all the shipping was free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.