Is there actually a perfect DELL U3415W/ LG34UC97?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maplingstorie, Feb 14, 2015.

1. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Been dying to know if there are any users out there with any of the monitors mentioned who have no yellow glows at the corners or uneven backlighting at all? The SAMSUNG S34E790C I know doesn't have (maybe other minor problems). Thanks. btw, these monitors are awesome aside their flaws. :D

2. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

It's a lottery to get a good 34" ultra-wide which has NO "backlight bleed" or "IPS glow" right now.

But to be 100% honest, it's to me a little silly to complain about a little bit of extra light in the corners. :rolleyes:

I own the 34UM95 from LG and I do have a little bit of corner glow, mostly worse in the left bottom corner. But the times I'm running the screen in "near full black" which is the only time I see it is about 1%-3% of the time.

These monitors are not for gaming, which is where you would mostly see the corner glow. If you want gaming performance and no backlight glow, then buy a non-IPS monitor.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

No, they're for colour correct photo work, where a 'little bit of extra light' is quite a big deal.

Samsungs VA 34" seems to be the best so far, but unsure if it can match an IPS panel for colour reproduction.

4. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

If you look at the reviews of these 34" UW monitors as a "professional photo monitor" they fall short. See the Tom's Hardware review and the TFT Central review for evidence of that.

They are interesting because of their format and the newness, but for serious color work, I think the reviews indicate they fall short to the best of the competition.

If you want to "gamble" that you can get one without light bleed, then a person is certainly welcome to do that. But if I were a professional looking for the best monitors for color reproduction, I would not be looking at the 34" UW monitors.

5. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't game on it. I do work and watch movies on it. Also, it can't be helped that there are dark scenes in movies which is why the bleeds at the corner is kind of an issue. However, Dell has excellent warranty policy, so if there are chances of getting one without any backlight bleeds then an exchange would be imminent (3 years premium exchange warranty). They seriously need to solve the backlight bleed. For a $1000 monitor, it should not be an excuse not to. :D

----------

yeah I understand. They're mainly for productivity and movies. It falls short on AdobeRGB and only has a satisfying 99% sRGB. I'm not doing colour critical work but I watch movies a lot and the backlight bleed is strong enough to actually catch my attention during dark scenes in the movies

----------

All i've read is that they have deeper blacks compared to the IPS. Apparently, Samsung VA 34 has issues of itself. If you head over here http://www.overclock.net/t/1514141/...e790c-curved-34-21-9-ultrawide-va-monitor/280

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Dell have pretty much outright stated that unless there is backlight bleed in the middle circle it meets their standards.

7. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

one should not use 'standard' so lightly. :p

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Here you go -

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19615484

It also seems Dell have pulled the product for now according to one retailer, I'm assuming due to the exact same bleed issues as the LG monitors.

9. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. I'm actually quite disappointed with their response. Although, I understand not all monitors have perfect backlight uniformity but at least, reduce them to point where it won't be distracting. And also it makes monitor look cheap and faulty. The UP2715Q which costs significantly less doesn't exert this issue considering it's an IPS display as well.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Dell display uses the EXACT SAME panel as the LG 34", so it's no surprise that they all share the same issue.

As said though, looks like they've stopped selling it due to the technical issues. The UK site has a ship date of May.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27623917&postcount=371

11. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

here's hoping that this would wake LG up that their backlight bleeds are unacceptableeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!..... and fix their freakin' panels. :mad:

12. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

My Samsung doesn't have the annoying backlight bleeding of the Dell / LG monitors and I've certainly not noticed any ghosting on it. Granted, I'm not a huge gamer, although I do use the monitor for gaming from time to time, but ghosting isn't an issue at all for me.

Colors aren't as vivid on the Samsung as they are on my Thunderbolt Display, but I knew that would be the case going in. I'm happy with the Samsung because it meets my expectations -- and the ultra-wide format is simply fantastic.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have a Dell U3415W. I would say that mine is far from perfect.

• It has very bad backlight bleed, about as bad as maplingstorie's was.
    • It does not show the Apple logo boot screen.
    • It wakes from sleep in Windows, but not OS X; on OS X I have to power cycle the monitor.
    • If I use the "Dell Display Manager" software in Windows (the split screen software), the monitor frequently goes black for 2-3 seconds and when it comes back up, all of my application windows have been re-sized to a very small size (640x480 maybe, not sure) and moved to the upper left corner.
    • Two of the USB 3.0 ports are not meant for wireless USB devices. I had problems using those with my USB dongles for my wireless keyboard and headset. I had assumed that either the ports were dead or there was terrible interference from the monitor. However I found out this is expected behavior, as the manual states you should not to use those ports for wireless devices. I have never heard of USB ports not meant for wireless devices, but there ya go--it's right in the manual.

I guess everyone will have different opinions on what is acceptable, but I find this to be ridiculous and distracting:
    [​IMG]

This is not my picture, but mine is almost exactly this bad.

14. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

That's more than what most people would consider "a little bit" of light. No one should keep a monitor that bad. I wouldn't.

15. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a small heads up. Dell has been sending me 5 replacements so far in these 3 months. After the 2nd replacement, I knew that I had explained that it is a manufacturing flaw only fixable by LG. Nonetheless, they denied that there was no issue as it meets "office standards" and closed my case. I insisted that this is an issue and not an OCD of mine for monitors. Every monitor they sent to me I took a picture and explained to them. Thankfully, support has been understanding and continued sending me another 3 more replacements. The last replacement model they sent to me came in as Rev02 however, the results were the same. So I've been granted another model which I don't know yet (still waiting for their reply). But will keep this thread updated.

16. iKnowDJZ macrumors newbie

Any update here? Considering this one or the LG 34UC97S

Any insight?

17. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

still the same for U3415W. It's a flaw that comes with it and can never be fixed. Had mine changed for 6 times even with the latest revision

18. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Bump. Just got mine today. It's stunning, top to bottom and corner to corner. Was there another revision?