Is There Adjustment For Ipad Screen Touch....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ledzeppelin, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ledzeppelin macrumors member

ledzeppelin

DW got an iPad2 for gift and is always barely touching something on the screen and erasing a long email or something such as that and I am wondering if there is an adjustment for touch sensitivity?

Also, she has found out you can't copy and paste like her iMac and I said probably because of the IOS verses the OS SL she runs on her iMac!!!
    Lots of little caveats in fact I am telling her she ought to think about up-grading to a 11 inch MB Air.....any thoughts, on both or just one of these?

thanks for reading....
    regards,

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As far as I know, there's no way to adjust the touch sensitivity of the iPad, sorry.

As for copy and paste, you can do copy & paste on iOS. Google "how to copy and paste on ipad" and you'll get plenty of hits.

iOS does take a bit of getting used to, as it's very different from any desktop OS. You need to go into it with an open mind -- if you expect things to work exactly like on a Mac, you will be very disappointed. That said, it has a lot of advantages too, like being more portable, longer battery life, no worry about viruses. Whether or not the advantages are worth the learning curve is up to each individual. My mom loves her iPad and will probably be happy to get rid of her computer if she didn't need it for work. Other people find that the iPad isn't for them, and go with the MacBook Air. Which is also a great device, it's definitely the best notebook computer I've ever owned, and if the extra cost isn't an issue for you, then perhaps that will be a good solution.

3. ledzeppelin thread starter macrumors member

ledzeppelin

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another thing you might try is to get her an iPod touch or an iPhone, if she uses a cell phone. It's a small device so she won't expect it to work like her Mac, but other than size, the iPod touch / iPhone works exactly like the iPad. Once she gets used to that, then an iPad will be an upgrade, rather than feeling like a downgrade from the Mac.

5. ledzeppelin, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

ledzeppelin thread starter macrumors member

ledzeppelin

Thank you, I am showing this to a special person.

:)
    Follow up to this is the special person is now reporting that she is able to copy and paste now!
    Thank you all who have posted.

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

To tell you the "why" on why you can't configure it is because it's capacitive touch which responds to the contact of the skin for example, even the slightest or the hardest does not make a difference aslong as it's making contact..

Maybe in the future they will include resistive touch togheter with capacitive touch in a way that you can probably control how hard you need to push the device to do things (which could be cool for games etc) or in your case..

Maybe i should sell that idea to apple ;) hehe

7. ledzeppelin thread starter macrumors member

ledzeppelin

I wanted to make sure everyone saw this as a new post since I only added it as a followup to the original post so here it is again, the special person is now able to copy and paste and says I just don't now why I couldn't do it before but thank you!
    So it is Thank You All who have posted!
    Happy New Year!!!
    :D

Maybe she will like it enough to keep it and I won't have to arrange for a return and purchase of a laptop...

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The touchscreens on the iPhone, iPad, and most other modern smartphones and tablets are capacitive screens. That means that they sense the contact of a finger on the glass, not the pressure you push with. It's much different than the older pressure-based touchscreens like you might have used an an ATM or something.

Another thing to remember is that most actions on iOS are triggered by your finger leaving the touchscreen, not when you first touch. For example if you land your finger on the wrong letter of the keyboard, you can simply slide it over to the correct key and then let up. Only the key you let up on will be pressed, not the one you originally landed on.