Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I have the latest iPad Pro. Sometimes I use the only port to connect my USB music keyboard using an adapter. Well the battery in the iPad drains quickly because the iPad is charging the music keyboard. Is there an adapter that goes in the iPad that allows me to connect the iPad charger and the music keyboard at the same time?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
For the new iPPs that use a USB-c connector there are a wide range of adapters that will work.
  • The "adapter" (hub or docking station) must support USB-IF PowerDelivery (aka PD). This is commonly available. They usuallly have a USB-c port for the charger and various USB A ports. Some also have monitor connections (HDMI, ...), SD/mSD card readers, and wired Ethernet. They can range from around $20USB to well over $100.
  • You must connect an adequately powerful PD compliant AC charger to the adapter to provide enough power for both the iPP and the keyboard. The iPPs original charger might not be powerful enough.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
For the new iPPs that use a USB-c connector there are a wide range of adapters that will work.
  • The "adapter" (hub or docking station) must support USB-IF PowerDelivery (aka PD). This is commonly available. They usuallly have a USB-c port for the charger and various USB A ports. Some also have monitor connections (HDMI, ...), SD/mSD card readers, and wired Ethernet. They can range from around $20USB to well over $100.
  • You must connect an adequately powerful PD compliant AC charger to the adapter to provide enough power for both the iPP and the keyboard. The iPPs original charger might not be powerful enough.

Can you point me to a PD Compliant AC charger? Thanks!!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Can you point me to a PD Compliant AC charger? Thanks!!
There are lots of them available.

I use a 39w Nekteck PD charger (https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Cert...ords=nekteck&qid=1552585264&s=gateway&sr=8-64) with my Surface Go and it seems fine. There are good ones from Aukey and Anker as well.

I use the charger with an inexpensive CableCreation hub (NOT RECOMMENDED as I have issue's with it's male USB-c connection https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B06W9KVFVS/ref=sr_1_36?crid=29VD8Y4ID77LF&keywords=cablecreation+usb-c+hub&qid=1552585489&s=gateway&sprefix=cablecreation+usb,aps,148&sr=8-36) that provides VGA monitor, USB-3, and a USB-c PD port for the charger. The hub works fine except the plug is unreliable. All of my other USB-c plugs (Aukey hub, NekTeck's cable, Anker USB-c<>A cable, ...) work perfectly with the Go so the issue with with the CableCreation hub. I'm currently shopping for a replacement.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I have the latest iPad Pro. Sometimes I use the only port to connect my USB music keyboard using an adapter. Well the battery in the iPad drains quickly because the iPad is charging the music keyboard. Is there an adapter that goes in the iPad that allows me to connect the iPad charger and the music keyboard at the same time?

Can’t you just use the USB C adapter that apple sells? I’m a musician and have the lightning iPad Pro and just use the camera connector. It seems for the new iPad Pro, this is what you’d use.
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MJ1K2AM/A

Reactions: chabig

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Can’t you just use the USB C adapter that apple sells? I’m a musician and have the lightning iPad Pro and just use the camera connector. It seems for the new iPad Pro, this is what you’d use.
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MJ1K2AM/A

For that price I would recommend a USB-C hub like the HyperDrive instead. They’re still in the manufacturing phase but are beginning to ship to backers and should be available to the public soon.

There’s also a wide variety of options on Amazon that offer more port selection for the same price or less.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I have not yet upgraded to the 2018 iPad Pro. When I do I'll be looking for a USB-C dock that has:

• power delivery (to charge the iPad)
  • a removable cable, because I hate the idea of a dongle literally hanging off the side of the iPad. I'll be using it while making music at my desk so a 1 - 3ft cable will be fine so I can tuck the dock away somewhere.
  • minimum of three USB 3 ports, at least one for MIDI keyboard but also my audio interface and other MIDI peripherals
  • no mic/headphone jack. - from what I hear the hubs with 3.5mm audio in/out can interfere with the iOS audio system. The hubs with 3.5mm jacks technically will have a DAC built in which can disable the iPad speakers while connected.
  • at least one USB-C port - so I can easily listen with the USB-C to 3.5mm dongle when I want to use headphones (or when my USB audio interface is not plugged in)
Looking around there are few (if any) docks with these features so I probably won't upgrade to the new iPad until I know there is a dock available that I'll actually be happy with. Most of the docks available now are very poorly designed for an iPad desktop workstation, either for music or otherwise. The 6" cables are awkward and so are the "direct connect" hubs that cling to the end of the iPad. It seems like a recipe for disaster for the only i/o port especially if you are on a stage for a performance.

Anyway, let us know if you find a good USB-C hub for music.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Ok I will post when I find what I need based on everyone's comments.

I just realized that my MBP came with a 87W USB-C charger. I can use that for now and maybe buy one of those y'all mentioned later. I just need to decide on a hub.

Last edited:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I have not yet upgraded to the 2018 iPad Pro. When I do I'll be looking for a USB-C dock that has:

• power delivery (to charge the iPad)
  • a removable cable, because I hate the idea of a dongle literally hanging off the side of the iPad. I'll be using it while making music at my desk so a 1 - 3ft cable will be fine so I can tuck the dock away somewhere.
  • minimum of three USB 3 ports, at least one for MIDI keyboard but also my audio interface and other MIDI peripherals
  • no mic/headphone jack. - from what I hear the hubs with 3.5mm audio in/out can interfere with the iOS audio system. The hubs with 3.5mm jacks technically will have a DAC built in which can disable the iPad speakers while connected.
  • at least one USB-C port - so I can easily listen with the USB-C to 3.5mm dongle when I want to use headphones (or when my USB audio interface is not plugged in)

I'm not sure that there are any that meet all these points.

Generally, the "hub" types have a permanently attached cable and lack a USB-c data port in addition to the USB-c power input port. The less portable "docking stations" frequently cover these points, but usually include the "dreaded" auto connections.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I think I'm going to order this hub because it has a 3.5 port for my headphones. Sometimes I like to play late at night. My wireless headphones do a great job with no latency while I'm recording, but sometimes I do get a little latency depending on how many notes are in the chords I play. My chords can get fat; so, having wired headphones is a plus.

Hub: https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Alum...+iPad+pro&qid=1552927912&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Headphone: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/culture-wireless-headphones-are-awesome.2173459/#post-27185882

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Ive had that hub since december. It fits the job nicely. Definitely recommend.

Hello A.R.E.A.M

You said you have this hub. What are using the USB port for? I just read the specs more closely and it said the USB port is for keyboard and DCIM transfer. I don't think it meant music keyboard. So this hub will not work for me. I'm so glad I read it more closely before I ordered. Or will it work with a USB music keyboard?
[doublepost=1552956328][/doublepost]Ok this article does mention any restrictions. So I am ok.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...s-hdmi-35mm-jack-more-to-apples-2018-ipad-pro

Last edited:

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
‘Sup cooooollllll breeezzeeeeeeeeeeee....... i knew a cat back in the day around da way we called cool breeze... :cool:

I use my iPad mostly for music production when I’m not at my home project studio. I have an Arturia audiofuse interface I use with the usb mostly. Other times i use an Ethernet adapter on the USB port as well as a thumb drive to transfer files from. You should not have any issues with this hub and it’s super reliable in the months I’ve used it.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
‘Sup cooooollllll breeezzeeeeeeeeeeee....... i knew a cat back in the day around da way we called cool breeze... :cool:

I use my iPad mostly for music production when I’m not at my home project studio. I have an Arturia audiofuse interface I use with the usb mostly. Other times i use an Ethernet adapter on the USB port as well as a thumb drive to transfer files from. You should not have any issues with this hub and it’s super reliable in the months I’ve used it.

Yea I was given that nickname way back in high school. People haven't called me that since then, I revived the name for online purposes LOL.

Yes I use mine for music production too. I thought about getting the Arturia. I have a Novation LaunchKey that's not bluetooth. I want to get rid of the wires. I'm thinking about CME Xkey Air. They advertise it as having no latency.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.