Is there an adaptor to convert a superdrive to sata?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shinyk, Jun 24, 2015.

1. shinyk macrumors newbie

I have a superdrive from an old macbook white (GWA-4080MB); the board is dead but the drive still works.

I can't find any adapter to convert it to either IDE, SATA or USB...nor there are enclosures that does that.

The connector is not the standard SATA; it is a sort of surface mounted connector, the original connector that goes to the motherboard has the following info on it:

U230 Enclosure ODD FCP
    81-0408-A
    P/N 08G22UD6720M

I can't find any reference to the connector, the adapter or the pinout...since I have an old computer that has an EIDE interface, I thought that maybe I can use this drive on it, but without an adapter I can't do much.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, there's no way. You'll need to get a drive that is compatible.

3. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

At this point, you are better off buying a cheap external dvd drive on Amazon or newegg.

4. shinyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I see; so these are as good as trash, compared to a generic internal IDE drive :( Too bad because it is compact and without the tray you save space.

The old computer has an IDE connector, so it is hard to find some slim drive that works with IDE; most of them are either SATA or in USB enclosure.
    Thanks guys; I guess in the trash it goes :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No not really but for your needs it doesn't help you. On the other hand, optical drives are extremely inexpensive at this point, so yeah chuck it and get the interface you need