Is there an all Chinese Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pastrychef, Mar 9, 2008.

1. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm thinking of picking up a Mac for my mom to use. However, her comprehension of english is limited, at best. I was wondering if there's an all chinese version of Mac OS X. By that, I mean that items on the menu bar are chinese, etc., not just selecting chinese as the primary language under the International preference setting. I've seen versions of Windows that are all chinese (which is what mom's currently using), but would like to know if there's a Mac equivalent.

If anyone knows where this can be purchased, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't that the same?

3. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

No, when I tried setting chinese as the primary language in International preferences setting, the items in the menu bar remained in english.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here's how to do it.

Go to System Preferences.

Open up the International Preference.

Under the "Language" tab, select the language that you want and drag it to the top. If you don't see the language that you want, you might need to use the "Edit List..." button.

Under the "Input Menu" tab, you can select what input menus you want to display and be able to select.

Once you've done this, then restart your Mac. Now everything should be in the language you selected.

This is assuming that you installed languages when you did your install. If not, you will need to re-install -- only to add the languages not the whole OS.

5. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm an idiot. The reason why it didn't work right the last time was because I didn't restart...

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your help!

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No worries. We've all been there a time or two or... :)

Glad to be of help.

BTW, how are Chinese characters working out?

7. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't know. I can't read chinese. lol I'm just planning ahead for Mother's Day. ;)

But when I tested it, I did open a few pop ups and Safari and everything was in chinese. However, Office 2004 was not. But it should be good enough...

Thanks, again!

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It should also be mentioned that this is a per-user setting (like nearly all settings in OS X, hooray UNIX!), so if you create an account on your machine for your mom, you can set it to come up in Chinese as noted above, and then leave your account in English.

9. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

Good suggestion! However, I plan on getting her a machine of her own. I really don't like anyone messing with my machines. :p

BTW, cool handle! Extremely appropriate for the conversation. lol :D

10. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Thats what I've done on my MBP with my g/f account... she can speak English but still considers reading it 'really strange' so I set up her own account with Trad Chinese and bonus my keyboard has Zhuyin characters for me to practice on! ;)

I noticed although the OS is all Chinese apps like Safari weren't for some reason so theres always Firefox/Camino Chinese version (so as not to affect the English version!)

11. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

You wouldn't have a link as to where I may be able to pick up one of those keyboards, would you?

12. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

13. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef