Is there an alternative for Tasker in AppStore.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dinh, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Dinh macrumors member

Dinh

Hi

I'm planning to move from Android to iOS. One of my concern is that there isn't something to Tasker in Appstore.

Am I wrong?
    Do you see in Future we might get something like Tasker in Appstore.

In case you are unware of it, Tasker really puts the 'Smart' in Smartphones.
    For example it cas do various cool stuff such as:

1) Depending on you location (without GPS) it can , Turn on / off wifi and Data.
    Basically as soon as you enter home, your wifi can be turned on and connected.
    It automatically turns off as soon as you exit home.

2)launch a music application when headphones are connected

3) Set Periodic AutoSyncs ( and thus save battery)

4) Automatically turns on GPS when you open Maps.

And many MANY other cool stuff.

For a more comprehensive list:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/.

Now I use this App extensively , and it's one thing holding me back..

Is there any similar app in Appstore?

Please say YES :p

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

No, but from my experience, wifi and data can be left on without much battery drain.

No, but it will pause your music when headphones are unplugged.

iOS devices back up to iCloud only when on power, so no battery saving needed. Also, if you want to sync media with iTunes, it'll only sync when plugged in or manually started.

GPS is only activated when you open an app that requires GPS.

No.

iOS will keep the screen on when reading iBooks, I think. Or if it doesn't, turn the page often ;-) It also won't do location-based changes like ringer volume (yet! I think this is a great idea) but it will lower the screen brightness depending on the ambient light. There's a light sensor on the front of the device near the top.

There might be an app for this but I'm not sure.

Yes, Siri will read out messages if you ask, or there might an accessibility setting to read all messages and incoming calls.

Hope this helps slightly.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't know why you need all that. In iOS you just have to trust the OS. Like I only turn off Wi-Fi when it connected to slow network. Keeping it on all the time didn't affect my battery much. Or why do you want to launch music app when plug in headphone since you might want to watch video instead. Map will connect to GPS or Hot Spot when needed. etc.
    It's a different OS with different personality. But with iOS you don't need to micro-manage things like that. For example, you don't need to check what apps you left open in the Fast App Switching aka Multi-Tasking Tray or try to manage memory because the OS will handle it automatically. You just use app and enjoy.
    If you're a techie you might not like it. But if you are people who use phone to enjoy things then it is a great OS.

4. arteggio macrumors member

Regarding child safety things there are options for content restrictions, which you could try if that's a concern of yours.

#1 sounds like something you could find in Cydia, the jailbroken (rooted-equivalent) store. It might not exist, but it probably could. (Not that that's a helpful response.)

Same with #2. Since the headphone sensor can sense when the headphones are removed, it shouldn't be difficult to create a little tweak that plays when they're put back in.

But really, changing things based on location should not be difficult either, even though they don't exist. Apple (everyone?) calls this geofencing, and it's used for location-based reminders. It could turn off data and change alarm settings — I would love my phone to go on vibrate every time I set foot on my campus. There are a few jailbroken apps able to set a schedule for it to go on vibrate though, but last I checked they weren't even working with iOS 5.

As for the time function in the evening, an iOS/Mac/Linux/Windows app called f.lux will probably be useful. Instead of dimming, it changes the color tint so that it's warmer; the effect is probably similar to what you're used to.

Note though, this requires jailbreaking, which the iPhone 5 probably won't have for months.

Here's a thread on Verge asking about Tasker with some replies.

In my opinion, although the iPhone is limited, it won't really stab you in the back. Data-wise you can limit push notifications, downloading of apps over cellular, etc, or if you're worried you can turn data off manually. Brightness-wise you can turn the phone off and back on to see if it will automatically adjust to your dimmer evening lighting, or you just might have to tap a few times to get to Settings and manually lower it.

Limited compared to what you're used to, but not bad. :)

EDIT: This:

5. Dinh thread starter macrumors member

Dinh

Thanks a lot guys.
    So there are work arounds :)
    Nice to know.

And by the way, I would rather trust myself than an OS. :p
    (No offense meant)

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Exactly right. Tasker is brilliant, but iOS wouldn't allow anything even approaching it.

Also, don't believe anyone who says that leaving wifi on doesn't affect battery. Of course it does, very significantly, especially if you're moving at a relatively slow speed (i.e. walking) in an area with a lot of networks around that you don't have access too.

Phazer

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I leave it on all day long without any effect. I turn it off only where I think 3G is faster. I never see anyone with iPhone turn thier Wi-Fi off when left office. If it's so bad I would notice it already. YMMV.

----------

Then it may not be your thing. Like I said, techie probably doesn't like it.

8. cynics macrumors G3

iOS is pretty good with the gps. It will show you a gps icon in the task bar when the gps is activated by an 3rd party app. Apps like find friends won't but it will show the gps was used in the last 24 hours in settings.

I've tried every possible combo and in the end iOS manages the battery well enough for me not to bother turning any function off. However I still will if say I'm away from home and I know I won't be near any wifi for a week or whatever. I never turn gps off because 'find my iPhone" uses it.

9. Dinh thread starter macrumors member

Dinh

I also use to clear the lock screen when I'm home and it automatically sets the pin when I'm outside.

I don't think this can be done ?

10. amro macrumors 6502

Tasker is awesome. I will miss it when I go back to iPhone.

I don't like using it to set things based on GPS. I use for triggers like setting the volume depending on where I am. For instance, when I get in the car and bluetooth connects, I have the volume go to max just in case I had it on mute. When I go to work, I have the volume set to mute/vibrate when it senses the company wifi. I don't even have to connect to it. And of course, when I get home and connect to my wifi, volume goes up and screen lock is disabled. If I disconnect from my wifi, screen lock comes back on.

I will miss all that.

11. rnodern macrumors newbie

i think we've all established that a tasker equivalent is not in the appstore, but what about Cydia?

12. DrJOet macrumors newbie

I am about to embark on the same journey. I have heard of an app called something like "if this then that". I've yet to get my iPhone in hand and check the app store. I hope something similar does come along.

13. ScottDaisy macrumors newbie

ScottDaisy

Wi-Fi is a local area wireless technology that allows an electronic device to participate in computer networking in some area, it would lose connection if you leave this area. And wifi will reconnection if you come back again.

Apple restricts many third-party wares. So many interesting wares only can be used it you phone is jailbreak.

14. arskiracer macrumors newbie

I love tasker. It's too bad it's not available on the app store. I use it on my Android phone to auto announce my text messages through my truck's Bluetooth headset connection (and only that particular Bluetooth I'd) while I'm driving. It's also great for auto texting my wife if my battery ever gets down to 5% and I'm unaware of it. It's also great that is sets my phone to vibrate only when a calendar event has me as busy, so that I don't have to remember to silence my phone during every meeting and then unsilence after the meeting is over. These are the kind of automated tasks that should be built into every OS from the factory. It's the way smart phones were meant to be.

15. delacosta456 macrumors newbie

delacosta456

hi all
    thanks for all explanations...
    i was looking for Tasker alternative too before switching to iphone when i reach this discussion...

Regarding to all this discussion can we ask apple to developp a similar app?