Is there an app for monitoring my router speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kinnyboy, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kinnyboy macrumors newbie

I am able to monitor my wireless network no problem using something as simple as iStat pro but, for example, my xbox is connected to the router via ethernet cable so doesnt appear on any of the apps I have for found for monitoring network traffic. Is there an app that i can use to monitor the source ie the router itself, to see what speed/bandwidth the ethernet ports are using?

many thanks

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Not sure if it's possible for an app on the computer to monitor all network activity. Some routers may have firmware that allows this though, if you log-in to the web interface (consult your router's manual if you don't know how). I use DD-WRT on my Linksys and it can monitor all active connections plus log bandwidth usage.

3. thelosmos macrumors newbie

thelosmos

I'm not sure on exactly what software you would use in a mac environment, but your router would have to have snmp enabled. Then the software would be able to connect to it. I know you are able to enable snmp in the DD-WRT firmware.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think that the network utility (applications->Utilities) should give you some statistics and what it doesn't you can use speedtest to see how fast or slow your connection is.